2016 Democratic Republic of the Congo gubernatorial elections
20 Provincial Governors from 26
This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
the Democratic Republic of the Congo
|United Nations Mission|
|Democratic Republic of the Congo portal|
Gubernatorial elections took place in 20 out of the 21 new provinces of the Democratic Republic of the Congo on 26 March 2016 (in Sud-Ubangi the election did not occur until April 1, while in Nord-Ubangi a second round had to be held as no candidate received the majority). The elections were the first to take place since the Congolese government has fragmented the former 11 provinces into 26 as mandated by the DRC constitution, though by the time elections occurred only 21 provinces had completed the reform process. In most of the provinces, the elected governors are members or affiliates of the Alliance of the Presidential Majority.
Initially, the Constitutional Court ruled that President Joseph Kabila could appointed interim governors. They went on to organize elections in their regions. The Congolese opposition largely boycotted the elections or were excluded from them.
Governors are elected by provincial assemblies.
Results by province [ edit ]
|Bas-Uele||Borrey Armand Kasubu Mbaya||Independent|
|Equateur||Tony Cassius Bolamba||Independent|
|Haut-Katanga||Jean-Claude Kazembe Musonda||Majority|
|Haut-Lomami||Célestin Mbuyu Kabango||Majority|
|Haut-Uele||Jean-Pierre Lola Kisanga||Independent|
|Ituri||Mbaka Jefferson Abdallah Pene||Majority|
|Kasaï||Marc Manyanga Ndambo||Majority|
|Kasaï-Central||Alex Kande Mupompa||Independent|
|Kasaï-Oriental||Alphonse Ngoy Kasanji||Majority|
|Kwango||Kabula Mavula Larousse||Majority|
|Kwilu||Lumuna Godel Kinyoka Kaba||Majority|
|Lomami||Muteba Patrice Kamanda Tshibangu||Majority|
|Mai-Ndombe||Gentiny Ngobila Mbaka||Majority|
|Mongala||Bolea Bienvenu Essimba Baluwa||Independent|
|Sankuru||Lukata Ulungu Ekunda||Majority|
|Tanganyika||Richard Ngoy Kitangala||Majority|
|Tshopo||Jean Ilongo Tokole||Majority|
|Tshuapa||Cypien Lomboto Lombonge||Majority|
References [ edit ]
- Election des gouverneurs: les résultats définitifs attendus le 18 avril(in French). Radio Okapi. Published 27 March 2016. Retrieved 4 March 2018.
- Grossman, Guy; Lewis, Janet (4 June 2015). The Democratic Republic of Congo might break up its provinces. Then what?. The Washington Post. Retrieved 4 March 2018.
- Vogel, Christoph (8 April 2016). Congolese mathematics: Kabila, elections, and the slide rule of dialogue and duress Archived 2018-03-06 at the Wayback Machine. Mail and Guardian. Retrieved 4 March 2018.
- The DRC’s Oversight Institutions: How Independent?. Africa Center for Strategic Studies. Published 5 October 2016. Retrieved 4 March 2018.
- RDC: liste de nouveaux gouverneurs de province élus(in French). Radio Okapi. Published 26 March 2016. Retrieved 4 March 2018.
- RDC – Election des gouverneurs : Voici tous les résultats !(in French). Politico.cd. Published 26 March 2016. Retrieved 4 March 2018.
- Nord-Ubangi : Marie-Thérèse Gerengbo élue gouverneur(in French). Radio Okapi. Published 30 March 2016. Retrieved 4 March 2018.