Andy Williams' Best
|Andy Williams' Best|
|Compilation album by|
|Andy Williams chronology|
Andy Williams' Best is a compilation album by American pop singer Andy Williams that was released late in 1961 by Cadence Records. This second album to compile the singer's material features 10 songs that made the Billboard Hot 100 along with two of their corresponding B-sides.
In 1965 Columbia Records released a compilation by Williams called Canadian Sunset whose cover had the phrase "formerly titled Andy Williams' Best" underneath the title, but his number one hit "Butterfly" and its top 10 follow-up "I Like Your Kind of Love" that were included on this album were replaced on the Columbia release with the B-sides of two of the other songs here.
Andy Williams' Best was issued on compact disc for the first time as one of two albums on one CD by Collectables Records on September 12, 2000, the other album being Williams's Cadence release from the fall of 1960, Under Paris Skies. Collectables included this CD in a box set entitled Classic Album Collection, Vol. 1, which contains 17 of his studio albums and three compilations and was released on June 26, 2001.
Track listing [ edit ]
Side one [ edit ]
- "The Bilbao Song" (Bertolt Brecht, Johnny Mercer, Kurt Weill) - 2:15
- "Lonely Street" (Carl Belew, Kenny Sowder, W.S. Stevenson) - 2:46
- "(In the Summertime) You Don't Want My Love" (Roger Miller) - 2:16
- "The Village of St. Bernadette" (Eula Parker) - 3:22
- "Canadian Sunset" (Norman Gimbel, Eddie Heywood) - 2:37
- "How Wonderful to Know" (Salvatore d'Esposito, Kermit Goell, Domenico Titomanlio) - 2:21
- rec. 3/9/61; B-side of "The Bilbao Song"
Side two [ edit ]
- "The Hawaiian Wedding Song" (Al Hoffman, Charles E. King, Dick Manning) - 2:29
- "Do You Mind?" (Lionel Bart) - 2:17
- "Are You Sincere?" (Wayne Walker) - 2:41
- "I Like Your Kind of Love" (Melvin Endsley) - 2:30
- "Don't Go to Strangers" (Redd Evans, Arthur Kent, David Mann) - 2:56
- rec. 10/17/60; B-side of "(In the Summertime) You Don't Want My Love"
- "Butterfly" (Bernie Lowe, Kal Mann) - 2:21
- A Some of the tracks on this compilation were released before Billboard created its Hot 100 chart for tracking song performance.
Personnel [ edit ]
References [ edit ]
- "The Cadence Era: "Canadian Sunset" brightens Andy's disk career". Billboard. 1967-11-11. p. AW-20.
- "Andy Williams' Best - Andy Williams". allmusic.com. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 21 July 2011.
- "Album Reviews". Billboard Music Week. 1961-12-11. p. 22.
- Whitburn 2010, p. 844.
- (1965) Canadian Sunset by Andy Williams, [album jacket]. New York: Columbia Records CS 9124.
- "Andy Williams' Best/Under Paris Skies - Andy Williams". allmusic.com. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- "Classic Album Collection, Vol. 1 - Andy Williams". allmusic.com. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 6 May 2011.
- Whitburn 2009, p. 1059.
- Whitburn 2004, p. 624.
Bibliography [ edit ]
- Whitburn, Joel (2004), Joel Whitburn Presents Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles, 1942-2004, Record Research Inc., ISBN 0-89820-160-8
- Whitburn, Joel (2009), Joel Whitburn's Top Pop Singles, 1955-2008, Record Research Inc., ISBN 0-89820-180-2
- Whitburn, Joel (2010), Joel Whitburn Presents Top Pop Albums, Seventh Edition, Record Research Inc., ISBN 0-89820-183-7