Aquilino Bocos Merino
Aquilino Bocos Merino
|Cardinal-Deacon of Santa Lucia del Gonfalone|
|Church||Roman Catholic Church|
|Appointed||28 June 2018|
|Installed||26 January 2019|
|Ordination||23 May 1963
by Francisco Barbado Viejo
|Consecration||16 June 2018
by Fernando Sebastián Aguilar
|Created cardinal||28 June 2018
by Pope Francis
|Birth name||Aquilino Bocos Merino|
17 May 1938|
Canillas de Esgueva, Valladolid, Spain
|Alma mater||Pontifical University of Salamanca|
|Motto||Ut vitam habeant|
Aquilino Bocos Merino, [akiˈlino ˈβokoz meˈɾino]; born 17 May 1938) is a Spanish prelate of the Catholic Church, a member and official of the Claretians. He was Superior General of the order, properly known as the Congregation of Missionaries, Sons of the Immaculate Heart of the Blessed Virgin Mary, from 1991 to 2003. Pope Francis made him a cardinal on 28 June 2018.(Spanish pronunciation:
Biography [ edit ]
He earned a degree in philosophy at the Pontifical University of Salamanca. From 1980 to 1991 he was general counsel of the Claretians. In 1991 he was elected the order's Superior General and served two six-year terms.
In 1994 he participated in the Synod of Bishops on the consecrated life, and he was a member of the Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life from 1994 to 2004.
On 20 May 2018, Pope Francis announced he would make him a cardinal on 28 June. He was consecrated as the Titular Archbishop of Urusi in Madrid on 16 June by Cardinal Fernando Sebastián Aguilar with Cardinals Carlos Osoro Sierra and Ricardo Blázquez as co-consecrators. At the 28 June consistory, he was assigned the diaconate church of Santa Lucia del Gonfalone.
See also [ edit ]
References [ edit ]
- "Annuncio di Concistoro il 29 giugno per la creazione di nuovi Cardinali, 20.05.2018" (Press release). Holy See Press Office. 20 May 2018. Retrieved 21 May 2018.
- Kurian, Anne (20 May 2018). "Collège cardinalice: un prêtre clarétain désigné cardinal". Zenit (in French). Retrieved 21 May 2018.
- Tornielli, Andrea (20 May 2018). "Concistoro a giugno, ecco i nuovi cardinali di Francesco". La Stampa (in Italian). Retrieved 20 May 2018.
- "Aquilino Bocos, un nuevo arzobispo "padre, hermano y amigo de todos"". Vida Nueva (in Spanish). 16 June 2018. Retrieved 11 June 2018.
- "Concistoro Ordinario Pubblico: Assegnazione dei Titoli, 28.06.2018" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 28 May 2018. Retrieved 28 May 2018.
[ edit ]
- "Bocos Merino Card. Aquilino, C.M.F."Holy See Press Office. Archived from the original on 14 July 2018. Retrieved 14 July 2018.
|Catholic Church titles|
Jose Elmer Imas Mangalinao
|Titular Archbishop of Urusi
11 June 2018 – 28 June 2018
|Cardinal-Deacon of Santa Lucia del Gonfalone
28 June 2018 – present