|Prefect of the Congregation for the Clergy|
|Church||Roman Catholic Church|
|Appointed||21 September 2013|
|Ordination||19 March 1966
by Constantino Stella
|Consecration||5 September 1987
by Pope John Paul II
|Created cardinal||22 February 2014
by Pope Francis
|Birth name||Beniamino Stella|
18 August 1941|
Pieve di Soligo, Treviso, Kingdom of Italy
|Reference style||His Eminence|
|Spoken style||Your Eminence|
Beniamino Stella (born 18 August 1941) is an Italian prelate of the Catholic Church who has been Prefect of the Congregation for the Clergy since 2013 and a cardinal since 2014. He began working in the diplomatic service of the Holy See in 1970, was made an archbishop in 1987, and served as a nuncio in several countries between 1987 to 2007. He led the Vatican's training program for its diplomats, the Pontifical Ecclesiastical Academy, from 2007 to 2013.
Early years [ edit ]
Beniamino Stella was born in Pieve di Soligo, Province of Treviso, Italy. After finishing secondary education, he entered the Pontifical Roman Seminary and studied philosophy and theology at the Pontifical Lateran University.
He was ordained a priest of the Diocese of Vittorio Veneto on 19 March 1966 by his uncle, Archbishop Costantino Stella of L'Aquila. That same year, to prepare for a diplomatic career he entered the Pontifical Ecclesiastical Academy. While there he also earned a degree in canon law from the Pontifical Lateran University.
Diplomatic service [ edit ]
He joined the diplomatic service of the Holy See in 1970 and held posts in the nunciatures in the Dominican Republic from 1970 to 1973 and in Zaire as secretary from 1973 to 1976. He was made a chaplain of His Holiness on 5 September 1974. From 1976 to 1978, he served in the Second Section of the Secretariat of State; then in Malta as auditor. In 1978, after Malta's prime minister Dom Mintoff declared the nuncio, Antonio del Giudice persona non grata, Stella headed the nunciature as chargé d'affaires. In 1983, he was assigned to the Council for the Public Affairs of the Church. He was assigned the rank of nunciature counselor on 1 February 1983.
On 21 August 1987, Pope John Paul II appointed Stella titular archbishop of Midila as well as Apostolic Pro-Nuncio to the Republic of the Congo and Apostolic Delegate to Chad.[a] Stella received his episcopal consecration from the Pope on 5 September. On 15 December 1992, he was named Apostolic Nuncio to Cuba. On 11 February 1999, he was appointed Apostolic Nuncio to Colombia.
Congregation for the Clergy [ edit ]
In an interview on 27 February 2019, Stella revealed that, for approximately ten years, the Congregation of the Clergy had been responsible for matters concerning priests who violate their vows of celibacy. Regarding violation of the celibacy policy, Stella stated "In such cases there are, unfortunately, Bishops and Superiors who think that, after having provided economically for the children, or after having transferred the priest, the cleric could continue to exercise the ministry."
Cardinal [ edit ]
On 10 March 2015, Pope Francis appointed Stella a member of the Pontifical Committee for International Eucharistic Congresses.
He was named a member of the Pontifical Commission for the Vatican City State on 11 June 2016, of the Secretariat for Communications on 13 July 2016, of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments on 28 October 2016, of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith on 22 November 2016, and of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples on 4 October 2017.
See also [ edit ]
Notes [ edit ]
- On 10 January 1989, his title changed from Apostolic Delegate to Apostolic Pro-Nuncio to Chad.
Sources [ edit ]
- "Tocca a Beniamino "Corazón"". La Stampa (in Italian). 23 September 2013. Retrieved 16 April 2020.
- "Pontificia Accademia Ecclesiastica, Ex-alunni 1950 – 1999" (in Italian). Pontifical Ecclesiastical Academy. Retrieved 15 April 2019.
- Acta Apostolicae Sedis(PDF). LVI. 1974. p. 671. Retrieved 16 April 2020.
- Pesce, Giuseppe (13 April 2013). "L' arcivescovo Del Giudice un agente 007 del Vaticano". La Repubblica (in Italian). Retrieved 15 April 2020.
- Acta Apostolicae Sedis(PDF). LXXIX. 1987. pp. 1239, 1250. Retrieved 16 April 2020.
- Acta Apostolicae Sedis(PDF). LXXXI. 1989. pp. 389, 801. Retrieved 16 April 2020.
- Acta Apostolicae Sedis(PDF). LXXXV. 1993. p. 104. Retrieved 16 April 2020.
- Acta Apostolicae Sedis(PDF). LXXXXI. 1999. p. 327. Retrieved 16 April 2020.
- "Rinunce e Nomine, 13.10.2007" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 13 October 2007. Retrieved 15 April 2020.
- "Rinunce e Nomine, 21.09.2013" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 21 September 2013. Retrieved 15 April 2020.
- Tosatti, Marco (20 September 2013). "Vaticano, nuove nomine: Stella al Clero e Baldisseri al Sinodo". Vatican Insider (in Italian). Retrieved 9 January 2015.
- "Rinunce e Nomine, 16.12.2013" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 16 December 2013. Retrieved 15 April 2020.
- Stella, Beniamino (27 February 2019). "For children of priests, the good of the child comes first". Vatican News (Interview). Interviewed by Andrea Tornielli.
- "Annuncio di Concistoro per la Creazione di Nuovi Cardinali" (in Italian). The Vatican Today. 12 January 2014. Retrieved 12 January 2014.
- "Assegnazione dei Titoli e delle Diaconie ai nuovi Cardinali" [Assignment of Titles and Deaconries to the new Cardinals]. The Holy See (in Italian). Ufficio delle Celebrazioni Liturgiche del Sommo Pontefice. 22 February 2014. Archived from the original on 3 July 2017. Retrieved 15 April 2020.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2 April 2015. Retrieved 10 March 2015. CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Rinunce e Nomine, 11.06.2016" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 11 June 2016. Retrieved 15 April 2020.
- "Rinunce e Nomine, 13.07.2016" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 13 July 2016. Retrieved 15 April 2020.
- "Rinunce e Nomine, 28.10.2016" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 28 October 2016. Retrieved 15 April 2020.
- "Rinunce e Nomine, 22.11.2016" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 22 November 2016. Retrieved 15 April 2020.
- "Rinunce e Nomine, 04.10.2017" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 4 October 2017. Retrieved 15 April 2020.
- "Resignations and Appointments, 01.05.2020". Holy See Press Office. Holy See. 1 May 2020. Retrieved 1 May 2020.
[ edit ]
- "Stella Card. Beniamino". Holy See Press Office. Archived from the original on 19 September 2016. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- "Beniamino Stella". Catholic-Hierarchy.org. David M. Cheney. Retrieved 21 September 2013. [self-published source]
|Apostolic Pro-Nuncio to the Republic of the Congo
7 November 1987 – 15 December 1992
Faustino Sainz Muñoz
|Apostolic Nuncio to Cuba
15 December 1992 – 11 February 1999
Luis Robles Díaz
|Apostolic Nuncio to Colombia
11 February 1999 – 13 October 2007
Justo Mullor García
| President of the Pontifical Ecclesiastical Academy
13 October 2007 – 21 September 2013
|Catholic Church titles|
| Prefect of the Congregation for the Clergy
21 September 2013 – present
| Cardinal-Deacon of Santi Cosma e Damiano
22 February 2014 – 1 May 2020
| Cardinal-Bishop of Porto-Santa Rufina
1 May 2020 – present