Benjamin Nelson (1911 – September 17, 1977) was a sociologist who explored the historical development and nature of civilizations. He held positions at University of Chicago, University of Minnesota, Stony Brook University and after 1966, New School for Social Research.
Nelson was a Guggenheim Fellow for the academic year 1945–1946. He was a founder member and vice president (1976–1977) of the Society for the Scientific Study of Religion and the first America President (1971–1977) of the International Society for the Comparative Study of Civilizations.
Major publications [ edit ]
- B. Nelson, The Idea of Usury: From Tribal Brotherhood to Universal Otherhood (Princeton University Press, 1949; 2nd ed., University of Chicago Press, 1969)
- B. Nelson, "The Future of Illusions," Psychoanalysis 2, 4(1954):16-37
- B. Nelson Preface to The Point Of View For My Work As An Author by Soren Kierkegaard 1962
- B. Nelson, "Scholastic Rationales of 'Conscience', Early Modern Crises of Credibility, and the Scientific-Technocultural Revolutions of the 17th and 20th Centuries," Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion 7(1968):157-177 doi:10.2307/1384625
- B. Nelson, "Max Weber's 'Author's Introduction' (1920)," Sociological Inquiry 44(1974):269-278 doi:10.1111/j.1475-682X.1974.tb01160.x
- B. Nelson, "Max Weber, Ernst Troeltsch, and Georg Jellinek as Comparative Historical Sociologists," Sociological Analysis 36(1975):229-240 doi:10.2307/3710369
- B. Nelson, "On Orient and Occident in Max Weber," Social Research 43(1976):114-129 JSTOR 40970216
- B. Nelson, On the Roads to Modernity, Conscience, Science and Civilizations (Totowa, N.J.: Rowman & Little-field, 1981).
Books on Benjamin Nelson [ edit ]
- Vytautas Kavolis, E.V. Walter, E. Leites, M.C. Nelson. Civilizations East and West: A Memorial Volume for Benjamin Nelson. Atlantic Highlands, NJ: Humanities Press 1985.
References [ edit ]
- Nielsen, Donald A. (1998) Encyclopedia of Religion and Society, "Benjamin Nelson Archived May 16, 2012, at the Wayback Machine", AltaMira Press.
- September 20, 1977, "Dr Benjamin Nelson, prof of sociology and history at the New School for Social Research, dies on Sep 17 at age 66" The New York Times, Page 44, Column 4
- "Benjamin N. Nelson". John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation.
- About the ISCSCArchived January 12, 2012, at the Wayback Machine
- Mattingly, Garrett (1951). "Review of The Idea of Usury: From Tribal Brotherhood to Universal Otherhood by Benjamin N. Nelson". The Journal of Modern History. 23 (1): 73–73. doi:10.1086/237390. ISSN 0022-2801.
- Polanyi, Karl (August 1950). "Review of The Idea of Usury by Benjamin N. Nelson". Commentary.
- Tiryakian, Edward A. (1982). "Review of On the Roads to Modernity, Conscience, Science and Civilizations, selected writings by Benjamin Nelson, edited with an introduction by Toby E. Huff". Sociological Analysis. 43 (1): 83–84. doi:10.2307/3711420. ISSN 0038-0210.