|Time zone||UTC+3 (EAT)|
Location [ edit ]
Butebo District is bordered to the north by (from west to east) Ngora District, Kumi District and Bukedea District. Mbale District lies to the east, Budaka District lies to the south and Pallisa District lies to the west. The location of the district headquarters at Butebo are located approximately 51 kilometres (32 mi), by road, northwest of the city of Mbale, the largest city in Eastern Uganda.
Overview [ edit ]
Following requests for district status by the residents, President Yoweri Museveni, in 2010, instructed his Minister of Local Government at the time, Adolf Mwesige, table a law in the Ugandan parliament to that effect. The law was tabled in parliament in August 2015, with the district to become operational on 1 July 2017. Prior to then the district was "Butebo County" in Pallisa District.
Population [ edit ]
In 2008, the population of Butebo District was estimated at 120,000 people.
Notable people [ edit ]
- Stephen Mallinga (17 November 1943 to 11 April 2013), medical doctor and politician. Formerly Minister of Disaster Preparedness and Refugees (2011 - 2013) and former Minister of Health (2006 until 2011). Former MP, representing Butebo County.
See also [ edit ]
References [ edit ]
- Edyegu, Daniel (21 September 2008). "Pallisa wants two new districts". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 14 October 2017.
- Kolyangha, Mudhanga (13 March 2017). "Butebo battle rages on as Kibale petitions Museveni". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 14 October 2017.
- Google (14 October 2017). "Location of Butebo District, Eastern Region, Uganda" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 14 October 2017.
- GFC (14 October 2017). "Distance between Mbale, Eastern Region, Uganda and Butebo, Eastern Region, Uganda". Globefeed.com (GFC). Retrieved 14 October 2017.
- Kolyangha, Mudangha (23 July 2010). "President grants Butebo County a district status". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 14 October 2017.
- URN (25 August 2015). "Museveni directs Parliament to convene over new districts". The Observer (Uganda) Quoting Uganda Radio Network (URN). Kampala. Retrieved 14 October 2017.
- PITW (30 June 2017). "Places in the World: Information on Butebo County, Uganda". Places in the World (PITW). Retrieved 14 October 2017.