District location in Uganda
|• Land||218.3 km2 (84.3 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,340 m (4,400 ft)|
|• Density||253.3/km2 (656/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+3 (EAT)|
Location [ edit ]
Buvuma District is bordered by Jinja District to the north, Mayuge District to the east, Tanzania to the south, and Buikwe District to the west and northwest. Kitamilo, the district headquarters, is approximately 30 kilometres (19 mi) south of the city of Jinja, the nearest large metropolitan area.
Overview [ edit ]
Buvuma District is made up of 52 scattered islands in the northern part of Lake Victoria. The largest island is called Buvuma, the name adopted by the new district, which was created by Act of Parliament on 1 July 2010. Before that, it was part of Mukono District. Administratively, the district is subdivided into nine administrative units:
- Bugaya Sub-county
- Busamuzi Sub-county
- Bweema Sub-county
- Nairambi Sub-county
- Buvuma Town Council
- Buwooya Sub-County
- Lwajje Sub-County
- Lubya Sub-county
- Lyabaana Sub-county
Population [ edit ]
In 1991, the national population census estimated the population of the district at 18,500. During the 2002 national census, the population of Buvuma District was estimated at 42,500. In the 2014 National Population and Housing Census, the population stood at 89,890.
Economic activities [ edit ]
The four main activities in the district are: (a) Fishing (b) Tourism (c) Logging and (d) Manufacture of charcoal. Subsistence agriculture is practiced by the inhabitants of the islands. The majority of the islanders depend a lot on fishing. Overfishing is a concern. The district has twenty-six gazetted forest reserves, although many are threatened by unregulated logging and burning to make charcoal. Little livestock farming is practiced in the district, with the majority of livestock consumed locally in the district.
See also [ edit ]
References [ edit ]
- Headquarters of Buvuma District Located At KitamiloArchived November 26, 2014, at the Wayback Machine
- "Approximate Travel Distance Between Jinja And Buvuma With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 14 May 2014.
- "Buvuma District: History". Uganda Communications Commission. Archived from the original on 6 March 2016. Retrieved 5 March 2016.
- "Estimated Population of Buvuma District In 1991, 2002 & 2012". Citypopulation.de. Retrieved 14 May 2014.
- Nangoli, Fred (8 May 2009). "Buvuma the United States of Uganda". New Vision. Archived from the original on 15 May 2014. Retrieved 14 May 2014.
- Musingo, Doren (31 August 2011). "Islanders Told To End Relying On Fishing". New Vision. Archived from the original on 15 May 2014. Retrieved 14 May 2014.