Chinese Taoist Association
|Part of a series on|
Chinese Taoist Association (CTA ; Chinese: 中国道教协会), founded in April 1957, is the main association of Taoism in the People's Republic of China. It is recognized as one of the main religious associations in the People's Republic of China, and has been overseen by the United Front Work Department of the Communist Party of China since the State Administration for Religious Affairs' absorption in the United Front Work Department in 2018. Dozens of regional and local Taoist associations are included in this overarching group, which is encouraged by the government to be a bridge between Chinese Taoists and the government, to encourage a patriotic merger between Taoism and government initiatives. The group also disseminates information on traditional Taoist topics, including forums and conferences. The association was a major sponsor of the 2007 International Forum on the Tao Te Ching. The Chinese Taoist Association advocates the recompensation of losses inflicted on Taoism by the Cultural Revolution. Taoism was banned for several years in the People's Republic of China during that period.
Taoist practitioners in China are required to register with the Chinese Taoist Association in order to be granted recognition and official protection. The CTA exercises control over religious doctrine and personnel, and dictates the proper interpretation of Taoist doctrine. It also encourages Taoist practitioners to support the Communist Party and the state. For example, a Taoist scripture reading class held by the CTA in November 2010 required participants to ‘‘fervently love the socialist motherland [and] uphold the leadership of the Chinese Communist Party.’’ The central government of China has supported and encouraged the Association, along with other official religious groups, in promoting the "harmonious society" initiative of Communist Party General Secretary Hu Jintao.
Notes [ edit ]
- Joske, Alex (May 9, 2019). "Reorganizing the United Front Work Department: New Structures for a New Era of Diaspora and Religious Affairs Work". Jamestown Foundation. Retrieved 2019-11-18.
- Jia attends China Taoist Association's 50th founding anniversaryArchived 2007-10-09 at the Wayback Machine
- The Way to Harmony: International Forum on the Daodejing - china.org.cn
- Congressional-Executive Commission on China, Annual Report 2011 Archived February 13, 2013, at the Wayback Machine, Oct 2011.
- Xinhua News Agency, China to Build Harmonious Society with Wisdom of Taoism 23 April 2007.