|Archbishop Emeritus of Douala|
|Church||Roman Catholic Church|
|Appointed||31 August 1991|
|Term ended||17 November 2009|
|Other posts||Cardinal-Priest of Santi Martiri dell'Uganda a Poggio Ameno (1988-)|
|Ordination||17 April 1966
by Julius Joseph Willem Peeters
|Consecration||6 January 1980
by Pope John Paul II
|Created cardinal||28 June 1988
by Pope John Paul II
|Birth name||Christian Wiyghan Tumi|
15 October 1930|
|Alma mater||University of Fribourg|
|Motto||Me voici je viens faire ta volonté|
|Coat of arms|
Christian Cardinal Tumi
|Reference style||His Eminence|
|Spoken style||Your Eminence|
Christian Wiyghan Tumi[pronunciation?] (born 15 October 1930) is a Cardinal Priest and the Archbishop Emeritus of Douala in the Catholic Church. He was succeeded as archbishop of Douala by Samuel Kleda, who had been Coadjutor Archbishop.
Early life and ordination [ edit ]
Born in Kikaikelaki a small village in the Nso klan, situated in the [Northwest Region, of Cameroon], Tumi studied at local seminaries in Cameroon and Nigeria. He trained as a teacher in Nigeria and London, then went on to earn a licentiate in theology in Lyon and a doctorate in philosophy at the University of Fribourg, Switzerland.
Ordained a priest on 17 April 1966, he served as a vicar in Soppo for a year before becoming a professor at Bishop Rogan College's seminary. After studying abroad from 1969 to 1973, he returned to his diocese and was named rector of the seminary in Bambui.
Bishop and Cardinal [ edit ]
In 1979, Tumi was elected the first bishop of the diocese of Yagoua. In 1984, he was made archbishop, and in 1985, he was elected president of the National Episcopal Conference of Cameroon, a post he held until 1991.
Named Cardinal-Priest of Santi Martiri dell'Uganda a Poggio Ameno on 28 June 1988 by Pope John Paul II, Cardinal Tumi was named the Archbishop of Douala on 31 August 1991. He was one of the cardinal electors who participated in the 2005 papal conclave that selected Pope Benedict XVI.
Views [ edit ]
Abortion [ edit ]
Child sexual abuse [ edit ]
HIV/AIDS and condoms [ edit ]
In 2005, it was reported that Cardinal Tumi said in a press interview that the use of condoms should be possible as protection against AIDS within marriage.
See also [ edit ]
References [ edit ]
- http://18.104.22.168/news_services/bulletin/news/24671.php?index=24671&lang=en#RINUNCIA%20E%20SUCCESSIONE%20DELL’ARCIVESCOVO%20DI%20DOUALA%20(CAMERUN) [permanent dead link]
- "Marche anti-avortement au Cameroun". Archived from the original on 8 March 2012. Retrieved 12 October 2009.
- "Les abus sexuels sur les jeunes sont un véritable scandale, et une honte pour notre société". Archived from the original on 4 December 2008. Retrieved 12 October 2009.
- "African cardinal says condoms in marriage OK to stop AIDS". Archived from the original on 4 December 2008. Retrieved 12 October 2009.
[ edit ]
- "Tumi Card. Christian Wiyghan". Holy See Press Office. Archived from the original on 4 September 2017. Retrieved 30 October 2017.
- Biography at catholic-pages.com
|This Cameroonian biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Roman Catholic bishop from Africa is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|