|Statutory body overview|
|Formed||1 April 2012|
|Headquarters||Wu Chung House, 213 Queen's Road East, Wan Chai|
|Deputy Minister responsible||
The Communications Authority is a statutory body responsible for licensing and regulating the broadcasting and telecommunications industries in Hong Kong. It was formed in 2012 through a merger of the Hong Kong Broadcasting Authority, Television and Entertainment Licensing Authority, and the Telecommunications Authority. The organisation is authorized to investigate complaints made regarding programmes, issue warnings and fines, or even suspend the license of the radio or television station.
The authority enforces the Broadcasting Ordinance (Cap. 562), the Telecommunications Ordinance (Cap. 106), the Unsolicited Electronic Messages Ordinance (Cap. 593), Communications Authority Ordinance, and the Broadcasting (Miscellaneous Provisions) Ordinance (Cap. 391).
The regulatory agency is ostensibly independent of the government, but its executive functions are supported by the Office of the Communications Authority (OFCA), a government department with a self-funding trust structure. In 2020, the Communications Authority issued a statement against RTHK concerning a comedy show for purportedly "denigrating and insulting" the Hong Kong Police Force.
Structure [ edit ]
The CA is headed by a chair and 11 other members:
The current Board of the CA  consist of:
- Winnie TAM Wan-chi, SC - Chair
- Eliza LEE Man-ching, JP - Vice-Chair
- Karen CHAN Ka-yin, JP
- Stephen HUNG Wan-shun
- Yvonne LAW SHING Mo-han, BBS, JP
- Thomas LO Sui-sing, JP
- Hubert NG Ching-wah
- Anthony William SEETO Yiu-wai
- Benjamin TANG Kwok-bun, GBS
- XU Yan
- Ray YEP Kin-man
- Agnes WONG Tin-yu, JP
List of Chairman [ edit ]
- Ambrose Ho 2012–2017: former Chairman of the Broadcasting Authority 2008-2012
- Mr Huen Wong, BBS, JP 2017-?
- Ms Winnie TAM Wan-chi, SC ?-present
Comparisons [ edit ]
Similar bodies around the world are:
- Australia: Australian Communications and Media Authority
- Canada: Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC)
- France: Superior Audiovisual Council (formerly the ORTF)
- United Kingdom: Ofcom
- United States: Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
References [ edit ]
- "Communications Authority - Welcome Message". www.coms-auth.hk. Archived from the original on 8 October 2018. Retrieved 23 May 2020.
- "Communications Authority - The Secretariat". www.coms-auth.hk. Archived from the original on 8 October 2018. Retrieved 23 May 2020.
- "OFCA Trading Fund Report 2012/13"(PDF). Archived(PDF) from the original on 31 December 2015. Retrieved 30 December 2016.
- Lee, Gigi (19 May 2020). "Hong Kong Government Broadcaster Axes Satirical Show After Police Criticism". Radio Free Asia. Archived from the original on 20 May 2020. Retrieved 19 May 2020.
- "Communications Authority - Chairman & Members". www.coms-auth.hk. Archived from the original on 8 October 2018. Retrieved 23 May 2020.