Arch Corepiscopo Curien (Kurian) Kaniyamparambil
|Died||19 October 2015
Kanjiramattom, Kerala, India
|Resting place||St Ignatius Jacobite Syrian Church Kanjiramattom|
|Other names||Malankara Malpan, Malankara Ezhuthachan|
|Bible translation into Malayalam (വിശുദ്ധഗ്രന്ഥം)|
|Parent(s)||Paulose and Aayamma|
Malankara Malpan Arch Corepiscopa Curien (Kurian) Kaniyamparambil was a priest in the Jacobite Syrian Christian Church and a scholar in Syriac language, who translated the Bible from ancient Peshitta text to Malayalam (വിശുദ്ധഗ്രന്ഥം) for the first time. This is the official bible used by Malankara Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church.
Biography [ edit ]
Kaniyamparambil Achan was born on 27 February 1913 to Paulose and Aayamma of a well-known Christian family Kaniyamparambil in Kanjiramattom. He did education in the schools at Kanjiramattom and Mulanthuruthy. Later he started learning the basics of Jacobite liturgy, Syriac and theology from Very Rev. Augen Ramban at Sion Kodanad. At the age of 15 he was able to master the sacred liturgical language Syriac. He modified Syriac prayer songs translated by Sabhakavi C P Chandy for usage in Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church. He completed his college education from C.M.S College, Kottayam.
He was ordained as a priest by Malankara Metropolitan Paulose Mar Athanasius. During the apostolic visit of Patriarch of Antioch Saint Ignatius Elias III to Malankara, he served as his secretary. Apostolic Delegate of the Patriarch Mor Julius Elias raised him to the rank of Corepiscopa at the age of 37, the highest order the Church bestows on a married Kassisso. He also received many titles and medals from Moran Mor Aphrem I, Moran Mor Yakoob III, and Moran Mor Zakka I Iywas, Holy Patriarchs of Antioch and all the East.
Funeral and memorials/ Death and entombment [ edit ]
Kaniyamparambil Achan passed away at age 102 on 19 October 2015. The remains of Rev. (Dr.) Kurien Arch Corepiscopa, Kaniyamparambil are interred in a tomb in St.Ignatius Jacobite Syrian Church in Kanjiramattom, Ernakulam District, Kerala.
Books [ edit ]
- Holy Bible (വിശുദ്ധഗ്രന്ഥം)(translation into Malayalam)
- Interpretation of the new testament (Malayalam)
- Syriac Reader and Meditative Lectures
- Biography of Chathuruthil Mor Geevarghese Mar Gregorios of Parumala 
- Biography of Malankara Metropolitan Paulose Mar Athanasius
- 1001 speeches
- Rekshikkapeduvan Nee Enthu Cheyyanam (Malayalam)
- Prayers of Mother Mary 
- 10 letters of Mother to the Daughter
- Syrian Church History in India (English & Malayalam)
- Joseph (Syriac drama)
- Margonino (Syriac novel)
- Subhashithanagal (Speech)
- The Miracles of Our Lord
- Syriac-English Dictionary
- 151 Speeches along with the history of the Holy Church
Awards & recognition [ edit ]
|First Benjamin Bailey award instituted by the Madhya Kerala diocese of Church of South India by Kerala Sahithya Akademi
chairman Perumbadavam Sreedharan
|Patriarch Moran Mor Ignatius Zakka-I granted the position of REESH COREPISCOPO held at the Syrian Church headquarters of India at Puthencuriz,
Ernakulam and the title MTARGMONO D EETHO and also awarded the St:Ignatius Medal and Certificate.
|Priest Trustee of the Syriac Orthodox Church, India||1975 to 1994
1997 to 2012
|The title of Sophar was bestowed on him by the St. Ephrem Ecumenical Research Institute (SEERI), Kottayam, during the World Syriac Conference.||1998|
|The 'Visudha Grantham' (Holy Bible translated from Peshito Syriac) was released on 2 August, by Catholicos Mor Baselios Paulose II||1994|
|The Association of the Syriac Academics, Stockholm, Sweden, congratulated and presented its symbolic prize (certificate).||1993|
|Catholicos of the East Aboon Mor Baselios Paulose II awarded him the title 'Nathaniel'||1982|
|Patriarch Moran Mor Ignatius Zakka I granted him the title 'Korooso Dasroro'||1982|
|Degree of Doctor of Divinity (Honoris Causa) was conferred on him by the St.Ephrem Institute, Solna, Sweden.||1979|
|Patriarch Moran Mor Ignatius Yakoob III granted him the eminent title of 'Malankara Malpan'||1978|
|Patriarch Moran Mor Ignatius Yakoob III honoured him with the St.Ephrem the Syrian Medal||1966|
|Blessed by Patriarch Moran Mor Ignatius Aphrem with the Mor Yakoob Medal||1954|
References [ edit ]
- "97th Birthday of Malankara Malpan Korooso Desroro Very Rev Dr. Kurien Cor Episcopa Kaniamparambil on 27 February 2010 – Jacobite Online". www.jacobiteonline.com. Retrieved 5 April 2018.
- "Vishudha Grandham – Download". vishudha-grandham-ios.soft112.com. Retrieved 26 March 2018.
- "Malankara Malpan Kurien Kaniamparambil Corepiscopa". syriacchristianity.info. Retrieved 5 April 2018.
- "This Week's Features". www.malankaraworld.com. Retrieved 5 April 2018.
- "Malankara Malpan Kurien Kaniamparambil Corepiscopa". syriacchristianity.info. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- ANTILA, JAAKKO (January 2007). "SYRIAC ORTHODOX SELF-UNDERSTANDING AND THE PROTESTANT CHALLENGE" (PDF). www.helsinki.fi. Retrieved 9 May 2017.
- Visudha Grandham. JSC Publications, Puthencruz: The Syrian Orthodox Bible Society of India. 1994. pp. 1, 2.
- KALLOOPARA SYRIAN CONVENTION
- "We need more priests like Arch Corepiscopa Dr. Curien Kaniyamparambil". jerryachensworld.blogspot.qa. 27 February 2015.
- Reporter, Staff; Reporter, Staff (3 June 2013). "Innovative methods needed to promote Malayalam, says Minister". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- "soc-wus". www.soc-wus.org. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- "This Week's Features". www.malankaraworld.com. Retrieved 12 April 2018.