Parent DFCU Limited listed on Uganda Securities Exchange as "DFCU"
|Headquarters||26 Kyaddondo Road
Nakasero, Kampala, Uganda
Managing Director 
|Products||Loans, checking accounts, savings, investments, debit cards, credit cards, mortgages|
|Revenue||Aftertax: UGX:61.7 billion (US$16.7 million) (2018)|
|Total assets||UGX:2.888 trillion (US$782.2 million) (2018)|
Number of employees
DFCU Bank, registered as the Development Finance Company of Uganda Bank Limited, is a commercial bank in Uganda. It is licensed by the Bank of Uganda (BoU), Uganda's central bank and national banking regulator.
Overview [ edit ]
As of December 2018, DFCU Bank had total assets of UGX:2.888 trillion (US$782.2 million), and shareholders' equity of UGX:498.8 billion (US$135.1 million). As of 30 June 2017, dfcu Bank operated 67 branches and 100 automated teller machines.
History [ edit ]
The Development Finance Company of Uganda Limited was established in 1964, with its name changing in 2000 to DFCU Limited and eventually to dfcu Limited. In 2000, dfcu Limited acquired Gold Trust Bank, which subsequently became dfcu Bank.
In July 2014, the BoU transferred to dfcu Bank the customer deposits of the Global Trust Bank, a small retail financial institution that the BoU had closed because it never became commercially viable. The deposits were valued at UGX:73 billion.
On 27 January 2017, dfcu Bank took over Crane Bank, which had been under the statutory management of the BoU because Crane's liabilities exceeded its assets. The acquisition included all customer deposit accounts and some loan accounts.
Ownership and affiliation [ edit ]
The stock of dfcu Limited, the parent company of dfcu Bank, trades on the Uganda Securities Exchange under the symbol "DFCU". As of December 2017, the major shareholders in the stock were as outlined in the table below:
|Rank||Name of Owner||Percentage Ownership|
|2||CDC Group of the United Kingdom||
|3||National Social Security Fund of Uganda||
|4||Kimberlite Frontier Africa Naster Fund||
|5||SSB Russell Investment Company Plc Fund NAS5||
|6||National Social Security Fund - Pinebridge||
|8||SSB-Conrad N. Hilton Foundation||
|9||Bank of Uganda Defined Benefits Scheme - Sanlam||
|10||Bank of Uganda Defined Benefits Scheme - Stanlib||
|11||Jubilee Investment Company Limited||
|12||Jubilee Investment Company Limited||
|13||Uganda Revenue Authority Staff Retirement Benefits||
|14||Centenary Bank Staff Defined Contributory Scheme||
|15||UAP Insurance Company Limited||
|16||Makerere University Retirement Benefits Scheme||
|19||The Parliamentary Pension Scheme||
|20||Housing Finance Bank/UAP Insurance General Life Fund||
- 1. DFCU Bank is a subsidiary of DFCU Limited.
- 2. Arise BV is a special purpose vehicle company, formed in 2016 and co-owned by Norfund, the Netherlands Development Finance Company, and Rabobank. Arise invests in African financial institutions.
- 3. In July 2018, the New Vision newspaper in Uganda reported that CDC Group had indicated its desire to exit the investment.
Branch network [ edit ]
- Abayita Ababiri Branch - 688/893, Block 438, Entebbe Road, Abayita Ababiri
- Abim Branch - 8 Lira-Kotido Road, Abim
- Acacia Branch - 24 Acacia Avenue, Kololo, Kampala
- Agago Branch - 1 Odok Road, Agago Town Council
- Arua Branch - KKT Centre, 16/22 Duka Road, Arua
- Ben Kiwanuka Branch 1 - Hidar Plaza, Ben Kiwanuka Street, Kampala
- Ben Kiwanuka Branch 2 - Sun City Plaza, 17 Ben Kiwanuka Street, Kampala
- Bugoloobi Branch - Kagga House, 2 Bandali Rise, Bugoloobi, Kampala
- Busia Branch - 101 & 103 Customs Road, Busia
- Bwaise Branch - 975-976 Sir Apollo Kaggwa Road, Bwaise, Kampala
- Dokolo Branch - Akeidebe Zone, Bata Road, Dokolo
- Elegu Branch - Gulu–Nimule Road, Elegu
- Entebbe Town Branch - 22 Kampala Road, Entebbe
- Entebbe Road Branch - Freedom City Mall, Namasuba, Kampala
- Gulu Branch - 1 Doctor Lucile Road, Gulu
- Gulu University Branch - DFI Block, University Avenue, Gulu University campus, Gulu
- Hoima Branch - Kasangaki Building, 58 Main Street, Hoima
- Ibanda Branch - 52 – 54 Rushere Road, Ibanda
- Iganga Branch - 80 & 82 Main Street, Iganga
- Impala House Branch - Impala House, 13 Kimathi Avenue, Kampala
- Ishaka Branch - 45 Ishaka-Rukungiri Road, Ishaka
- Isingiro Branch - 36 Kikagate Road, Isingiro
- IUIU Branch - Islamic University in Uganda campus, Mbale
- Jinja Branch - 10 Lady Alice Muloki Road, Jinja
- Jinja Road Branch - Crane Chambers, 38 Jinja Road, Kampala
- Kabale Branch - 143/145 Kabale Road, Kabale
- Kampala Road Branch - Crown House, 4A Kampala Road, Kampala
- Kawempe Branch - Kampala-Gulu Highway, Kawempe, Kampala
- Kikuubo Branch 1 - Sisa Arcade, 4 Nakivubo Road, Kampala
- Kikuubo Branch 2 - Nambusi Mariam Arcade, 18 Nakivubo Road, Kampala
- Kireka Branch - 106 Jinja Road, Kireka
- Kisekka Branch - Kisekka Market, 70 – 76 Nakivubo Road, Kampala
- Kisoro Branch - 65/75 North Ward, Kisoro
- Kitgum Branch - 19 Janan Luwum Street, Kitgum
- Kyaggwe Road Branch - 1st Floor, Nabugabo Business Centre, Kyaggwe Road, Kampala
- Kyengera Branch - 60/61, Block 333, Masaka Road, Kyengera
- Kyadondo Road Branch - DFCU House, 26 Kyaddondo Road, Nakasero, Kampala Main Branch
- Kyambogo Branch - 48/50, Mukabya Road, Kyambogo, Kampala
- Kyambogo University Branch - Kyambogo University, Kyambogo, Kampala
- Lira Branch - 4 Soroti Road, Lira
- Lugogo Branch - Lugogo Mall, Lugogo Bypass Road, Lugogo
- Luweero Branch - 846 Kampala–Gulu Highway, Luweero
- Lyantonde Branch - Lyantonde
- Makerere Branch - 45 Pool Road, Makerere University campus, Kampala
- Market Street Branch - Aponye City Mall, 8 Burton Street, Kampala
- Masaka Branch - 22 Kampala Road, Masaka
- Mbale Branch - 2 Court Road, Mbale
- Mbarara Branch - 73 High Street, Mbarara
- Mukono Branch - 18/20 Jinja Road, Mukono
- Naalya Branch - Quality Shopping Mall, Naalya
- Nakivubo Branch 1 (Gagawala Shauliyako), 40A, Nakivubo Place, Kampala
- Nakivubo Branch 2 - 26/27 Nakivubo Road, Kampala
- Nateete Branch - 757 Wakaliga, Nateete, Kampala
- Ndeeba Branch - 224 Masaka Road, Ndeeba, Kampala
- Nsambya Branch - 1207 Ggaba Road, Nsambya, Kampala
- Ntinda Branch 1 - Capital Shoppers City, Ntinda Road, Ntinda, Kampala
- Ntinda Branch 2 - 1B Ntinda Road, Ntinda, Kampala
- Ntungamo Branch - 18 Old Kabale Road, Ntungamo
- Owino Market Branch - 769 Kafumbe Mukasa Road, Kampala
- Pader Branch - 8 Lagwai Zone B, Pader
- Pallisa Branch - 8 Kasodo Road, Pallisa
- Royal Plaza Branch - 35 Luwum Street, Kampala
- Rushere Branch - 52 – 54 Rushere Road, Rushere
- Sixth Street Branch - 165 6th Street, Industrial Area, Kampala
- Soroti Branch - 38 Gweri Road, Soroti
- Tororo Branch - 9 & 11 Mbale Road, Tororo
- William Street Branch - 66 William Street, Kampala
- Wilson Lane Branch - 17 Wilson Lane, Kampala.
DFCU House [ edit ]
dfcu Limited has built a ten-story headquarters building that also houses the main branch of dfcu Bank. The building is often referred to as DFCU House. Located at 26 Kyaddondo Road, on Nakasero Hill, in Kampala's central business district, the development has underground and surface parking, as well as rentable, retail, and office space on several levels.
See also [ edit ]
- Banking in Uganda
- List of banks in Uganda
- List of tallest buildings in Kampala
- Asset allocation among commercial banks in Uganda
References [ edit ]
- Nakaweesi, Dorothy (29 October 2018). "Katamba quits Housing Finance, linked to dfcu". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 29 October 2018.
- Ampurire, Paul (31 October 2018). "Katamba Appointed To Head DFCU After Resigning As Housing Finance Bank MD". Kampala: SoftPower Uganda. Retrieved 8 December 2018.
- DFCU Bank (20 March 2019). "dfcu Bank Limited Extract of Financial Statements for the Year Ended 31 December 2018" (PDF). Kampala: DFCU Bank Limited. Retrieved 1 April 2019.
- DFCU Group (28 March 2018). "DFCU Annual Report For The Year Ended 31 December 2017" (PDF). Kampala: DFCU Group. Retrieved 17 March 2019.
- "Company Details: Development Finance Company of Uganda Ltd". Kampala: Uganda Securities Exchange. 12 July 2017. Archived from the original on 15 April 2014. Retrieved 12 July 2017.
- "List of licensed Commercial Banks as at 31 March 2017"(PDF). Bank of Uganda. 31 March 2017. Retrieved 12 July 2017.
- Mark Keith Muhumuza; Jonathan Adengo (1 February 2017). "Dfcu closes 23 Crane Bank branches". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- "DFCU Bank posts Sh114 bn net profit in first 6 months". The Independent. Kampala. 15 August 2017. Retrieved 15 March 2018.
- "About us". dfcu Limited. Retrieved 15 August 2018.
- "Uganda central bank takes over small commercial bank". Reuters. 25 July 2014. Retrieved 15 August 2018.
- "UPDATE 1-Uganda's Crane Bank assets, liabilities transferred to dfcu - central bank". Reuters. 27 January 2017. Retrieved 27 January 2017.
- "Europe's Arise BV hits ground running with CAL Bank acquisition". Asokoinsight.com. 14 February 2017. Retrieved 16 October 2017.
- Benon Ojiambo (7 July 2018). "We are still here - dfcu Bank shareholders". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 8 July 2018.
- Peter Kaujju (10 February 2005). "dfcu Bank opens branch on Acacia Avenue". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 12 July 2017.
- Wilfred Sanya (17 November 2009). "Isingiro district gets first bank". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 12 July 2017.
- Eddie Ssejjoba (20 August 2009). "Dfcu in Jinja". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 12 July 2017.
- Emporis.com (2018). "DFCU House: It houses both the DFCU Group headquarters and the main branch of DFCU Bank". Emporis.com. Retrieved 19 November 2018.
- Wilfred Sanya (26 January 2009). "dfcu Bank opens branch in Mbarara, focuses on regional expansion". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 12 July 2017.
- "Kampala: Introducing the DFCU House". Symbion Group Plc. Archived from the original on 2 May 2014. Retrieved 30 April 2014.