Dong River (China)
Dong River in Heyuan
|Literal meaning||East River|
The Dong River is the eastern tributary of the Pearl River in Guangdong province, southern China. The other two main tributaries of Pearl River are Xi River and Bei River. The headwater is located in Mount Sanbai (三百山) in Anyuan County, Jiangxi.
The Dong River is a major source of water for Hong Kong. The Hong Kong Government has purchased Dong River water from Guangdong since 1965. Over 70% of domestic water in Hong Kong is imported from the Dong River. Its discharge is about 807.5 cubic metres per second (28,520 cu ft/s).
Historical findings [ edit ]
A dinosaur egg fossil dated back to the Late Cretaceous was discovered by primary school student named Zhang Yangzhe while playing near the Dong River in 2019 in July. The boy's mother, Li Xiaofang, later contacted the Heyuan Dinosaur Museum members, and under their excavation guidance more than 10 dinosaur egg fossils each about 9 centimeters in diameter and dating back to 66 million years were revealed.
Places along the river include [ edit ]
- Ganzhou, Jiangxi
- Heyuan, Guangdong
See also [ edit ]
References [ edit ]
- "Water from Dongjiang". Water Supplies Department, HKSAR, Water for a Barren Rock. Archived from the original on 2006-04-27. Retrieved 2006-04-15.
- "Assured Water Supply"(PDF). Water Supplies Department, HKSAR, WSD Annual Report 2004-2005. Archived from the original(PDF) on 2007-01-20.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-02-03. Retrieved 2010-10-22. CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- 江巍. "Boy finds 66-million-year-old dinosaur eggs - Chinadaily.com.cn". www.chinadaily.com.cn. Retrieved 2020-03-31.
- "Chinese Boy Accidentally Finds 66-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Eggs | ARCHAEOLOGY WORLD". Retrieved 2020-03-31.
- 罗希, 刘志棠. "河源又现恐龙蛋化石，是男孩江边游玩发现！网友：不可思议". 微信公众平台. Retrieved 2020-03-31.
Major cities along the Pearl River
Cities (from upper reaches to lower reaches)
|Other major rivers|
|This article related to a river in China is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Guangdong location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Hong Kong–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|