The Eastern Mediterranean denotes the countries geographically to the east of the Mediterranean Sea (the Levantine Sea). Its populations share not only geographic position but also cuisine, certain customs and a long, intertwined history.
Regions [ edit ]
This eastern Mediterranean region is commonly interpreted in two ways:
- The more broad definition of the Levant which includes its historically tied neighboring countries, Greece and Egypt.
- The region of Syria with the island of Cyprus (also known as the Levant), and Turkey, which limits the definition to Western Asia
Countries [ edit ]
The countries and territories of the Eastern Mediterranean include Cyprus, Greece, Lebanon, Syria, Israel, Palestine, Turkey, Egypt, Libya, and Jordan.  The countries under the term North-eastern Mediterranean could sometimes include Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Greece (usually included within Eastern Mediterranean countries) Slovenia, North Macedonia, Serbia, Kosovo, Montenegro, Romania, and Ukraine.
See also [ edit ]
- Greater Syria
- Byzantine Empire
- Ottoman Empire
- Fertile Crescent
- Levantine Sea
- Near East
- Ancient Near East
- Names of the Levant
- Eastern Mediterranean University
- List of Mediterranean countries
- Mediterranean Basin
References [ edit ]
- "Eastern Mediterranean Political Map". National Geographic Store. National Geographic Society. Archived from the original on 21 February 2018. Retrieved 17 October 2011.
- Gore, Rick (17 October 2002). Clark, Robert (ed.). "Ancient Ashkelon". National Geographic Magazine. National Geographic Society. Archived from the original on 16 July 2012. Retrieved 17 October 2011.
- Franks, Tim (6 November 2011). "The state of Israel: Internal influence driving change". BBC News. BBC. Retrieved 4 October 2018.
- Orfalea, Gregory (2006). The Arab Americans: A History. Northampton, MA: Olive Branch Press. p. 249. ISBN 9781566565974.
- "The Report: Egypt 2010". Oxford Business Group – via Google Books.
- Brauch, Hans Günter; Liotta, Peter H.; Selim, Mohammad El-Sayed; Rogers, Paul F. (28 September 2018). "Security and Environment in the Mediterranean: conceptualising security and environmental conflicts : with 177 figures and 144 tables". Springer Science & Business Media – via Google Books.
- Diez, Thomas (28 September 2018). "The European Union and the Cyprus Conflict: Modern Conflict, Postmodern Union". Manchester University Press – via Google Books.
- Springer-Verlag (28 September 2018). "Mediterranean Climate: Variability and Trends". Springer Science & Business Media – via Google Books.
- Lucarelli, Sonia; Fioramonti, Lorenzo (16 October 2009). "External Perceptions of the European Union as a Global Actor". Routledge – via Google Books.