|Print title||Engineering Index|
Ei Compendex is an engineering bibliographic database published by Elsevier. It indexes scientific literature pertaining to engineering materials. Beginning in 1884, it was compiled by hand under the original title of Engineering Index. The name "Compendex" stands for COMPuterized ENgineering inDEX. As a result of computerization in 1967, the first electronic Engineering Index bulletin was sent to 500 subscribers. Elsevier purchased the parent company Engineering Information in 1998.
Coverage [ edit ]
Ei Compendex currently contains over 18 million records as of July 28, 2015  and references over 5,000 international sources including journals, conferences and trade publications. Approximately 1,000,000 new records are added to the database annually from over 190 disciplines within the engineering field. Coverage is from 1970 to the present, and is updated weekly.
Coverage of engineering subjects include nuclear technology, bioengineering, transportation, chemical and process engineering, light and optical technology, agricultural engineering and food technology, computers and data processing, applied physics, electronics and communications, control, civil, mechanical, materials, petroleum, aerospace and automotive engineering as well as multiple subtopics within all these and other major engineering fields.
References [ edit ]
- EI History. Elsevier Engineering Information. Accessed May 6, 2009.
- Hane, Paula J. Elsevier Science Acquires Engineering Information. Information Today, Inc. 06 February 1998
- EI Welcome . Elsevier Engineering Information. Accessed February 20, 2013.
- Compendex & EI Backfile. Elsevier Engineering Information. Accessed February 20,2013.
- File summary. STN.FIZ Karlsruhe. Accessed June 16 2014.