The Friend (LDS magazine)
|Publisher||The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints|
|First issue||January 1971|
The Friend is the monthly English language children's magazine published by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). It is aimed at those of Primary age, approximately ages 3 through 12. It includes messages from church leaders, stories, crafts, recipes, and artwork and poetry submitted by readers.
The Friend is the successor to The Children's Friend, the official magazine of the LDS Church for children between 1902 and 1970. The Friend has been published monthly since January 1971. The magazine contains no advertisements. Material from The Friend is translated into over 50 languages and published in various language editions of the Liahona, the church's official international magazine.
In 2012, the magazine's contents were described, "The Friend magazine has incorporated scriptures throughout the magazine. Each article is based on a scripture, includes different stories about Jesus and a poster is found each month titled "Bright Ideas" that has an easy scripture for children to memorize." In 2016, the magazine began to reflect more gender equality with examples such as an article titled "Savannah the Engineer" about a young girl who enters a battery-powered-car-designing contest.
Editors [ edit ]
Since 1977, the editor of The Friend has been a general authority of the LDS Church.
- Doyle L. Green (1971–75)
- Dean L. Larsen (1977–78)
- James E. Faust (1979)
- M. Russell Ballard (1980–84)
- Carlos E. Asay (1985–86)
- Hugh W. Pinnock (1987–89)
- Rex D. Pinegar (1994)
- Joe J. Christensen (1994–95)
- Jack H. Goaslind (1996–98)
- Marlin K. Jensen (1999–2000)
- Dennis B. Neuenschwander (2001–04)
- Jay E. Jensen (2005–08)
- Spencer J. Condie (2008–10)
- Paul B. Pieper (2010–12)
- Craig A. Cardon (2012–15)
- Joseph W. Sitati (2015–17)
- Hugo E. Martinez (2017–18)
- Randy D. Funk (2018- )
See also [ edit ]
- Ensign (LDS magazine)
- Juvenile Instructor
- Liahona (magazine)
- New Era (magazine)
- List of Latter Day Saint periodicals
References [ edit ]
- Noyce, David. "Your quick A-to-Z guide to Mormonism — Part II", The Salt Lake Tribune, 11 April 2016. Retrieved on 24 March 2020.
- Arave, Lynn. "LDS Church terms no longer in use", Deseret News, 24 January 2008. Retrieved on 24 March 2020.
- Taylor, Scott. "LDS magazine Ensign to discontinue monthly 'First Presidency Message'", Deseret News, 19 March 2018. Retrieved on 24 March 2020.
- Petersen, Sarah. "Interactive scripture games, apps for kids", Deseret News, 18 October 2012. Retrieved on 24 March 2020.
- Stack, Peggy Fletcher. "Mormon feminists score small gains — in word, in song, in lessons, and, they hope, in life", The Salt Lake Tribune, 9 February 2016. Retrieved on 24 March 2020.
[ edit ]
|This article related to the Latter Day Saint movement is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
This children's magazine article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.
See tips for writing articles about magazines. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.