|Cardinal, Archbishop of L'Aquila|
Petrocchi in 2013.
|Church||Roman Catholic Church|
|Appointed||8 June 2013|
|Installed||7 July 2013|
|Other posts||Cardinal-Priest of San Giovanni Battista dei Fiorentini (2018–)|
|Ordination||14 September 1973
by Marcello Morgante
|Consecration||20 September 1998
by Silvano Montevecchi
|Created cardinal||28 June 2018
by Pope Francis
|Birth name||Giuseppe Petrocchi|
19 August 1948|
Ascoli Piceno, Italy
|Previous post||Bishop of Latina-Terracina-Sezze-Priverno (1998–2013)|
|Motto||Ante Omnia caritas|
|Coat of arms|
Life [ edit ]
Giuseppe Petrocchi was born on 19 August 1948 in Ascoli Piceno.
Petrocchi commenced his ecclesial studies in his home diocese on 4 October 1965 where he finished his high school education before being sent to the Pontifico Seminario Romano Maggiore in September 1967. He completed his studies at the Lateran where he obtained a bachelor's degree before doing additional studies at the college in Rome and the one in Macerata.
He was ordained to the priesthood on 14 September 1973 in the San Pietro Martire church and began work as a teacher and pastor. Pope John Paul II appointed him as the Bishop of Latina-Terracina-Sezze-Priverno on 27 June 1998 and he received his episcopal consecration the following 20 September in Ascoli Piceno from Silvano Montevecchi; the co-consecrators were the bishops Domenico Pecile and Marcello Morgante. He was installed in his new diocese on 18 October.
Pope Francis named him as the Archbishop of L'Aquila on 8 June 2013 and he was enthroned in his new see the following month. He received the pallium from the pope on 29 June 2013 in Saint Peter's Basilica. Pope Francis made Petrocchi a cardinal on 28 June 2018, assigning him the titular church of San Giovanni Battista dei Fiorentini.
Francis named him a member of the Pontifical Commission for Vatican City State on 22 September 2018, of the Congregation for Catholic Education on 6 October 2018, and of the Congregation for the Causes of Saints on 27 April 2019. In April 2020 Francis placed Petrocchi at the head of a commission that was to study the question of the ordination of women to the diaconate.
See also [ edit ]
References [ edit ]
- "Annuncio di Concistoro il 29 giugno per la creazione di nuovi Cardinali, 20.05.2018" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 20 May 2018. Retrieved 20 May 2018.
- "Rinunce e Nomine, 08.06.2013" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 8 June 2013. Retrieved 20 May 2018.
- "Concistoro Ordinario Pubblico: Assegnazione dei Titoli, 28.06.2018" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 28 May 2018. Retrieved 28 May 2018.
- "Rinunce e nomine, 22.09.2018" (Press release). Holy See Press Office. 27 April 2019. Retrieved 27 April 2019.
- "Rinunce e nomine, 06.10.2018" (Press release). Holy See Press Office. 6 October 2018. Retrieved 27 April 2019.
- "Resignations and Appointments, 27.04.2019" (Press release). Holy See Press Office. 27 April 2019. Retrieved 27 April 2019.
- "Pope creates new expert commission to study women deacons". cruxnow.com. 8 April 2020. Retrieved 9 April 2020.
[ edit ]
- "Petrocchi Card. Giuseppe". Holy See Press Office. Archived from the original on 14 July 2018. Retrieved 14 July 2018.
- Diocese of L'Aquila (in Italian)
|Catholic Church titles|
|Bishop of Latina-Terracina-Sezze-Priverno
27 June 1998 – 8 June 2013
|Archbishop of L'Aquila
8 June 2013 – present
|Cardinal-Priest of San Giovanni Battista dei Fiorentini
28 June 2018 – present