Downtown Haicheng on 20 July 2008
Haicheng in Anshan
|Country||People's Republic of China|
|County seat||Haizhou Subdistrict (海州街道)|
|• County-level city||2,581.0 km2 (996.5 sq mi)|
|• Urban||104.00 km2 (40.15 sq mi)|
|Elevation||17 m (56 ft)|
|• County-level city||1,142,000|
|• Density||440/km2 (1,100/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (China Standard)|
Haicheng (Chinese: 海城; pinyin: Hǎichéng; literally: 'Sea City') is a county-level city in central Liaoning province, People's Republic of China, located about 120 kilometres (75 mi) southwest of the provincial capital Shenyang. It is under the administration of Anshan City, the seat of which lies 36 kilometres (22 mi) to the northeast.
Haicheng has an area of 2,734 square kilometres (1,056 sq mi) and a population of 1,130,000.
Haicheng earthquake of 1975 [ edit ]
On 4 February 1975, an earthquake measuring 7.3 on the Richter Scale hit the city of Haicheng, which at the time had approximately 1 million residents. However, seismologists sent out warnings about this earthquake a day earlier and ordered evacuations. Because of this correct prediction, many lives were saved. This was the first successful earthquake prediction in history. Further aiding the prediction, cats and other animals are also said to have acted strangely in the days leading up to the earthquake. There are some questions as to the validity and accuracy of these reports, which are discussed in detail in the Haicheng Earthquake Prediction link below.[failed verification]
Administrative divisions [ edit ]
- Haizhou Subdistrict (海州街道)
- Xinghai Subdistrict (兴海街道)
- Xiangtang Subdistrict (响堂街道)
- Dongsi Subdistrict (东四街道)
- Gushan Manchu Town (孤山满族镇)
- Chagou (岔沟镇)
- Jiewen (接文镇)
- Shimu (析木镇)
- Mafeng (马风镇)
- Pailou (牌楼镇)
- Yingluo (英落镇)
- Bali (八里镇)
- Maoqi (毛祁镇)
- Wangshi (王石镇)
- Nantai (南台镇)
- Ganquan (甘泉镇)
- Datun (大屯镇)
- Xiliu (西柳镇)
- Ganwang (感王镇)
- Zhongxiao (中小镇)
- Niuzhuang (Newchwang) (牛庄镇)
- Teng'ao (腾鳌镇)
- Gengzhuang (耿庄镇)
- Xisi (西四镇)
- Gaotuo (高坨镇)
- Wangtai (望台镇)
- Wenxiang (温香镇)
See also [ edit ]
References [ edit ]
- Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural Development, ed. (2019). China Urban Construction Statistical Yearbook 2017. Beijing: China Statistics Press. p. 50. Retrieved 11 January 2020.
- (in Chinese)Profile of HaichengArchived 6 January 2009 at the Wayback Machine, official website of Haicheng Government, visited on 23 May 2008.
荣登国家元首宝座的张作霖 (in Chinese). Retrieved 15 December 2017.
- "Profile of Haicheng" (in Chinese). Archived from the original on 10 June 2008. Retrieved 19 June 2008.