Hong Kong Museum of Art
Hong Kong Museum of Art in August 2019.
|Location||10 Salisbury Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong|
|Collection size||17,000 (2020)|
|Owner||Leisure and Cultural Services Department|
|Hong Kong Museum of Art|
The Hong Kong Museum of Art (HKMoA) is the first and main art museum of Hong Kong, located in Salisbury Road, Tsim Sha Tsui. It is managed by the Leisure and Cultural Services Department of the Hong Kong Government. HKMoA has an art collection of over 17,000 items. Admission is free for permanent exhibitions.
History [ edit ]
The museum was established as the City Museum and Art Gallery in the City Hall in Central by the Urban Council in 1962. This was split into the Hong Kong Museum of History and the Hong Kong Museum of Art in July 1975.
The Museum of History moved to Kowloon Park in 1983. Before leaving City Hall in 1991, the art museum occupied the 8th (rear portion), 9th, 10th, and 11th storeys of the High Block. These floors now house a public library. In 1991, it was moved to the present premises at 10 Salisbury Road, near the Hong Kong Cultural Centre and the Hong Kong Space Museum, in Tsim Sha Tsui.
Exhibitions [ edit ]
The museum changes its displays regularly. The exhibitions in the museum are mainly of paintings, calligraphy and sculpture from Hong Kong, China and other parts of the world. It has cooperated with other museums as well.
Transportation [ edit ]
The museum is within walking distance of both East Tsim Sha Tsui Station and Tsim Sha Tsui Station of the Mass Transit Railway (MTR). It is even nearer the Tsim Sha Tsui Ferry Pier, which offers services to Wan Chai and Central.
See also [ edit ]
References [ edit ]
- "Hong Kong Museum of Art / Flagstaff House of Museum of Tea Ware". hk.art.museum. Retrieved 8 October 2019.
- "About the Museum". Leisure and Cultural Services Department. Archived from the original on 22 January 2015. Retrieved 22 January 2015.
- "Hong Kong Museum of History to celebrate 40th anniversary with public". Information Services Department. 16 July 2015.
- "Hong Kong Museum of Art, Designation of Premises as a Museum and as a Civic Centre". Urban Council. 5 October 1991. Retrieved 22 January 2015.
- Chow, Vivienne (14 February 2013). "Museum of Art to get a facelift". South China Morning Post. Retrieved 22 January 2015. [permanent dead link]
- "Expansion and Renovation of the Hong Kong Museum of Art"(PDF). Legislative Council Panel on Home Affairs. 12 May 2014. Retrieved 22 January 2015.
- "Breaking News! Hong Kong Museum of Art is about to Close for a Makeover!". Hong Kong Museum of Art. Archived from the original on 15 July 2018. Retrieved 16 July 2015.
- Sun, Fiona (30 November 2019). "Hong Kong Museum of Art to reopen to public on Saturday after four years of expansion and renovations". South China Morning Post.
[ edit ]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hong Kong Museum of Art.|