The caste system in India prohibits marriage outside the caste. However, inter-caste marriages have gradually gained acceptance due to increasing education, employment, middle-class economic background, and urbanisation. According to a survey in 2014, about 5% of marriages are inter-caste in India.
In India, inter-caste marriages were publicly encouraged and supported by politicians such as C. N. Annadurai, former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, and social activists such as Periyar E. V. Ramasamy, Raghupathi Venkataratnam Naidu, Ram Vilas Paswan and Manthena Venkata Raju. In the North Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, the Government offers a cash award for inter-caste couples. The Supreme Court of India has also declared that inter-caste marriages are in the national interest and a unifying factor for the nation and there is no bar in inter-caste or inter-religion marriages in India.
There is an increasing trend among users of online matrimony sites in India to declare one's willingness to marry outside their caste. But still majority of the cases marriages in India take place within the caste.   In many cases, those who marry outside the caste face many hurdles. 
See also [ edit ]
- Caste system in Nepal
- Inter Caste Marriage क्यों जरूरी है इसके फायदे और नुकसान
References [ edit ]
- Bayly, Susan (2001-02-22). Caste, Society and Politics in India from the Eighteenth Century to the Modern Age. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 9780521798426.
- "Love in the time of caste". The Hindu. 2013-07-27. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2015-11-06.
- Anita Diehl. (1977). E. V. Ramaswami Periyar. A study of the influence of a personality in contemporary South India, Scandinavian University Books: Sweden. ISBN 91-24-27645-6.
- "'Inter-caste marriage is the biggest weapon to end division in society … let every child get equal opportunity'". Times of India Blog. 2018-06-20. Retrieved 2019-08-02.
- bbc.com: India: Cash reward offered for inter-caste marriages
- "Lawyer's Collective".
- "Infochange India".
- thehindu.com: 'Caste no bar', in words if not in action
- Dec 18, TNN | Updated:; 2015; Ist, 9:00. "Caste rules in marriage, power, well-being: Study | Bengaluru News - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2019-08-02. CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)
- "What do India's Youths want? Marry Within Their Own Caste". Velivada. Retrieved 2 August 2019.
- "Sakshi Misra case: Inter-caste marriage important, but deeper problem is belief in scriptures promoting hierarchical order". Firstpost. Retrieved 2019-08-02.