An international parliament or supranational legislature is a branch of an intergovernmental organization tasked with legislative powers and thus establishing a hybrid system of not only intergovernmentalism, but also supranationalism. It could be based on a predecessor inter-parliamentary institution or a newly established organization-level legislature.
Such branches of intergovernmental organizations are typically established in order to provide for representation of citizens, rather than governments who are represented in other bodies within the organization. The assembly can be composed of members of the national legislatures (whose members are directly elected in most cases) or of its own directly elected members, further strengthening the supranationalism of the organization.
List of international parliaments [ edit ]
- The initially consultative European Parliamentary Assembly of ECSC, EEC and Euratom subsequently was renamed, gained legislative powers and became directly elected.
- Multiple regional organizations in Latin America such as the Rio Group, Latin American Economic System and Latin American Integration Association have similar membership.
- Multiple regional organizations in the British Isles have similar membership.
- The Asian Cooperation Dialogue continental organization has similar membership.
- Parliamentary Assembly established by the Cotonou Agreement between the European Union and the African, Caribbean and Pacific Group of States.
- There are proposals to transform the Pan African Parliament into a directly elected international parliament with legislative powers.
- Established by the parliaments of the European Union, Mercosur, Andean Community, Central American Integration System, Mexico, Chile and the Latin American Parliament.
- The Mercosur Parliament is expected to transform into a directly elected international parliament in 2014.
- Absorbed by the Pundarliamentary Assembly of the Union of the Mediterranean.
- Related to the Euro-Mediterranean Partnership initiative of the EU's European Neighborhood Policy.
- Absorbing the Euro-Mediterranean Parliamentary Assembly
- Related to the Eastern Partnership initiative of the EU's European Neighborhood Policy.