James W. Hayes
Biography [ edit ]
James Hayes worked in Hong Kong's New Territories for almost half his thirty-two years of government service. He joined the Hong Kong Government as Cadet Officer Class II in 1956. He retired as Regional Secretary of the New Territories in 1987. He has written extensively on the history and anthropology of the New Territories.
Bibliography [ edit ]
James Hayes' bibliography includes:
Hayes, James (1964). "The Settlement and Development of a Multiple-clan Village". In Topley, Marjorie (ed.). Aspects of Social Organization in the New Territories (PDF). Hong Kong: Cathay Press. pp. 10–15. OCLC 56615727.
Royal Asiatic Society Hong Kong Branch. Weekend Symposium. 9th-10th May, 1964
- Hayes, James (1977). "Chapter 4: A Multilineage Settlement of Cantonese Farmers". The Hong Kong Region, 1850 to 1911: Institutions and Leadership in Town and Countryside. Archon Books. ISBN 9780208016263.
- Hayes, James (1977). The Hong Kong region, 1850-1911: institutions and leadership in town and countryside. Archon Books. ISBN 9780208016263.
- Hayes, James (1983). The rural communities of Hong Kong: studies and themes. Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780195815047.
- Hayes, James (1993). Tsuen Wan: growth of a 'new town' and its people. Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780195851663.
- Hayes, James (15 June 1994). "Chapter 3: San Po Tsai (Little Daughters-in-Law) and Child Betrothals in the New Territories of Hong Kong from the 1890s to the 1960s". In Jaschok, Maria; Miers, Suzanne (eds.). Women and Chinese patriarchy: submission, servitude, and escape. Zed Books. pp. 51–53. ISBN 978-1856491266.
- Hayes, James (1996). Friends & teachers: Hong Kong and its people, 1953-87. Hong Kong University Press. ISBN 9789622093966.
- Hayes, James (2001). South China village culture. Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780195919899.
- Hayes, James (2006). The great difference: Hong Kong's New Territories and its people, 1898-2004. Hong Kong University Press. ISBN 9789622097940.
Distinctions [ edit ]
- Former President, Royal Asiatic Society Hong Kong Branch (1983–1990)
- Doctor of Letters honoris causa, The University of Hong Kong (1992)
- Honorary Fellow, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (2008)
- Honorary Institute Fellow, Hong Kong Institute for the Humanities and Social Sciences, The University of Hong Kong
References [ edit ]
- The University of Hong Kong: James William Hayes Doctor of Letters honoris causa, Citation by Professor Lee Ngok, 1992
- Columbia University Press: Mini biography of James HayesArchived 7 September 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- Carroll, John Mark (2007). A concise history of Hong Kong. Rowman & Littlefield. p. 221. ISBN 978-0742534223.
- Faure, David; Siu, Helen, eds. (1995). Down to Earth: The Territorial Bond in South China. Stanford University Press. p. xi. ISBN 0-8047-2434-2.
- Leisure and Cultural Services Department: List of Museum Expert Advisers