John W. Welch
John Woodland "Jack" Welch (born 1946) is a scholar of law and religion. Welch is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and currently teaches at the J. Reuben Clark Law School (JRCLS) at Brigham Young University (BYU) in Provo, Utah, where is the Robert K. Thomas University Professor of Law. He is notable for his contributions to LDS (Mormon) scholarship, including his discovery of the ancient literary form chiasmus in the Book of Mormon.
Biography [ edit ]
Welch was founding director of Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies (FARMS) and, prior to August 2018, was the Editor-in-Chief of the periodical BYU Studies Quarterly. Welch was director of publications for the Joseph Fielding Smith Institute for Latter-day Saint History. While serving as a young missionary in Germany, Welch discovered many instances of the chiasmus literary form in the Book of Mormon. His finding, published in BYU Studies as "Chiasmus in the Book of Mormon" in 1969, and subsequent publications have shaped scholarly inquiry into the linguistic aspects and historical origin of the Book of Mormon.
Welch received bachelor's and master's degrees from BYU (B.A. in History, M.A. in Latin and Greek). He then studied at Oxford University as a Woodrow Wilson Fellow. Welch received a J.D. from Duke University. He is the Robert K. Thomas professor of law in the JRCLS.
Bibliography [ edit ]
- Apostles and Bishops in Early Christianity (2004)
- John W. Welch, and J. Gregory Welch, Charting the Book of Mormon (1999)
- Chiasmus Bibliography (1999)
- Chiasmus in Antiquity (1998)
- Echoes and Evidences of the Book of Mormon (2002)
- Glimpses of Lehi's Jerusalem (2004)
- Illuminating the Sermon at the Temple and Sermon on the Mount (1998)
- Isaiah in the Book of Mormon (1998)
- King Benjamin's Speech (1998)
- King Benjamin's Speech Made Simple (1999)
- Oliver Cowdery: Scribe, Elder, Witness (2006)
- Pressing Forward with the Book of Mormon (1999)
- Reexploring the Book of Mormon (1992)
- The Allegory of the Olive Tree (1994)
- The Legal Cases in the Book of Mormon (2008)
- The Sermon at the Temple and the Sermon on the Mount (2010)
- The Tree of Life (2011)
- Daniel H. Ludlow, S. Kent Brown, and John W. Welch, To All the World (2000)
References [ edit ]
- Howard W. Hunter Law Library – Faculty Bibliography Page
- Two Ancient Roman Plates: Bronze Military Diplomas and Other Sealed DocumentsArchived 2008-07-05 at the Wayback Machine
- "Deseret Book: Books, DVDs, Music, Art & more for LDS Families - Deseret Book". Archived from the original on 2003-05-14.
- BYU Law School Faculty ProfileArchived 2007-07-17 at the Wayback Machine
- John W. WelchArchived 2008-01-13 at the Wayback Machine
- Biography at the Joseph Smith Papers Project website (accessed May 11, 2012)
- "Biography at byu.edu". Archived from the original on 2016-10-16. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
[ edit ]
- Works by or about John W. Welch in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Howard W. Hunter Law Library Page of Welch has a listing of at least a portion of Welch's published works.
- John W. Welch Chiasmus Papers, MSS 3776; L. Tom Perry Special Collections; Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University.
- BYU Studies journal, of which John W. Welch is the editor in chief.
- Chiasmus Resources, a Chiasmus index site maintained by BYU Studies.