Junior Marvin in Santa Monica (2007)
|Birth name||Donald Hanson Marvin Kerr Richards Jr|
|Also known as||Junior Hanson, Junior Kerr|
|Born||1949 (age 69–70)|
|Genres||Reggae, Rock, R&B|
|Occupation(s)||Singer-songwriter, author, poet, artist|
|Labels||Manticore, Island, Universal|
|Associated acts||Bob Marley & The Wailers, The Wailers Band, Hanson, Steve Winwood, Bobby Tench, Rebop Kwaku Baah. Linda Lewis|
Junior Marvin (born 1949 as Donald Hanson Marvin Kerr Richards Jr) also known as Junior Marvin-Hanson, Junior Hanson and Junior Kerr, is a Jamaican-born guitarist and singer best known for his association with Bob Marley and The Wailers. He started his career as Junior Hanson with the band Hanson in 1973. Marvin has also been associated with Gass, Keef Hartley Band, Toots & the Maytals and Steve Winwood.
Biography [ edit ]
Born in Jamaica, Marvin moved to London as a child, where his love of both acting and music was nurtured. He appeared in the Beatles’ film “Help”, which was followed by a number of other television appearances. Meanwhile, Marvin served his musical apprenticeship in America by playing with the likes of Blues Legend T-Bone Walker and Ike & Tina Turner. Back in England he played with bands such as Herbie Goins & The Nighttimers, Blue Ace Unit and White Rabbit.
In 1973 Marvin formed the band Hanson and recorded two albums. Marvin met Bob Marley on February 14, 1977 and joined Bob Marley and The Wailers. After the death of Bob Marley in 1981, Marvin along with the remaining Wailers members formed The Wailers Band and released the albums ID, Majestic Warriors, JAH Message, and Live 95-97 My Friends. In 1997, Marvin left The Wailers Band and relocated to Brazil, where he formed a short-lived group called Batuka. Following his departure from Brazil, Marvin worked as a session musician for Kaliroots and The Wailers Band. In 2007, Marvin recorded a solo album entitled Wailin' For Love. In 2008, Marvin formed along with Al Anderson The Original Wailers and toured with them until 2011. After departing from The Original Wailers, Marvin returned to solo work. Marvin left The Wailers Band in September 2018.
Associations [ edit ]
Bands [ edit ]
- 1965 - Blue-Ace-Unit with Calvin 'Fuzzy' Samuel.
- 1969 - White Rabbit with Linda Lewis.
- 1970 - Keef Hartley Band as Junior Kerr.
- 1973 - Hanson as Junior Hanson.
- 1977 - Bob Marley & The Wailers as Junior Marvin
- 1981 - The Wailers Band
- 1997 - Batuka
- 2005 - The Wailers Band
- 2008 - The Original Wailers
- 2011 - Junior Marvin
- 2013 - Junior Marvin & One Love
- 2014 - Junior Marvin's Force One
- 2015 - Junior Marvin's Wailers
- 2018 - The Wailers
- 2019 - Julian Junior Marvin´s Wailers
Sessions [ edit ]
- GassJuju Polydor (1970) credited as Junior Kerr
- Toots & the MaytalsReggae Got Soul (1976)
- Delroy WashingtonI Sus (1976)
- Stomu Yamashta, Steve Winwood, Michael ShrieveGo (1976) credited as Julian Marvin
- Steve WinwoodSteve Winwood (1977) credited as Junior Hanson or Julian [Jr] Marvin
- Burning SpearHail H.I.M. (1980) and The Fittest of the Fittest (1983)
- Joe HiggsBlackman Know Yourself (1990)
- Bunny WailerHall of Fame: A Tribute to Bob Marley (1995)
- Don CarlosProphecy (1995)
- CulturePayday (1999)
- Israel VibrationJericho (2000)
- Lenny Kravitz on Saturday Night Live, 20 January 2001
- O.A.R. "Any Time Now" and "Night Shift/Stir It Up," (2002)
- Alpha BlondyJah Victory (2007)
- Quique Neira (Chile), Jah Rock (2007)
- Jah RootsJoy Ganjah Records (2008)
- Los Pericos "Pericos & Friends" (2010)
- Regan Perry "Flow" Mash It Up Records (2013)
Wailers Band albums [ edit ]
Solo albums [ edit ]
- Wailin' For Love (2007)
Video [ edit ]
- Red Bull Music Academy Lecture with Junior Marvin (Montreal 2016)
- Interview with Junior Marvin and Wayne Jobson (video)