|Senator for Tocantins|
February 1, 2007
|Minister of Agriculture, Livestock and Supply|
January 1, 2015 – May 12, 2016
|Preceded by||Neri Geller|
|Succeeded by||Blairo Maggi|
|Federal Deputy for Tocantins|
February 1, 2003 – January 31, 2007
February 2, 1962|
Goiânia, Goiás, Brazil
|Political party||PP (2020–present)|
|Alma mater||Pontifical Catholic University of Goiás (PUC-GO)|
Kátia Abreu (born February 2, 1962) is a Brazilian politician. She represented Tocantins in the Federal Senate from 2007 to 2014. She was a congresswoman elected by the Tocantins State from 2003 to 2007. She is a member of Progressistas, since her leaving from Democratic Labour Party (PDT) in March 2020.
On 23 December 2014, President Dilma Rousseff appointed Abreu as Minister of Agriculture, to serve during the president's second term, amid controversies among environmentalists, including the group Greenpeace. Abreu took office on January 1, 2015 during Rousseff's second inauguration. Abreu was fired in 12 May 2016, after president Rousseff was suspended by the Senate and vice-president Michel Temer was sworn as acting president, being replaced by Blairo Maggi.
On 23 November 2017 she was expelled from the Brasilian Democratic Movement Party because of her support of the opposition. In 2018 she joined the Democratic Labour Party and supported Ciro Gomes in his bid for presidency.
References [ edit ]
- Kátia Abreu é nova ministra da Agricultura
- Maia, Mateus (11 March 2020). "Kátia Abreu deixa PDT e vai para o Progressistas" (in Portuguese). Poder360. Retrieved 26 April 2020.
- Lewis, Jeffrey (23 December 2014). "Brazil's Rousseff Names Katia Abreu Agriculture Minister". The Wall Street Journal. New York. Retrieved 28 December 2014.
- "Ministers Take Office in a Ceremony in Brasilia". Portal Brasil (in Portuguese). Brasilia, Brazil. Imprensa Oficial. 2015-01-01. Retrieved 2015-02-01.
- Romero, Simon (12 May 2016). "New President of Brazil, Michel Temer, Signals More Conservative Shift". The New York Times. Retrieved 26 November 2017.
- "Conselho de Ética do PMDB decide expulsar a senadora Kátia Abreu". G1 (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2019-09-19.
|Minister of Agriculture, Livestock and Supply
|Party political offices|
PDT nominee for Vice President of Brazil
|This article about a Brazilian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|