Sheraton Kampala Hotel
|Sheraton Kampala Hotel|
|Opening||October 8, 1967|
|Management||Constellation Hospitality Group|
|Number of rooms||233|
The Sheraton Kampala Hotel is a hotel in Kampala, the capital of Uganda and its largest city. It is one of the three Five star hotels in Kampala, as rated by the Uganda Tourism Board in June 2015.
Location [ edit ]
The hotel sits on the southwestern slopes of Nakasero Hill, an upscale neighborhood in Kampala Central Division. The coordinates of the hotel are:0°19'00.0"N, 32°35'01.0"E (Longitude:0.316667; Latude:32.583611).
History [ edit ]
The hotel opened on October 8, 1967 as the Apolo Hotel. The hotel's opening was attended by its namesake, Prime Minister Apollo Milton Obote. When Obote was overthrown in a military coup by Idi Amin in 1971, the hotel was renamed the Kampala International Hotel. Following the overthrow of Amin by Tanzanian forces, who made the hotel their headquarters, and the Uganda National Liberation Army in 1979, and the return to power of Obote in 1980, the hotel reverted to the Apolo Hotel name. There were other regime changes in the country in 1985 and 1986. The National Resistance Movement, which ascended into power in 1986, liberalized the economy and Middle Eastern investors won the rights to lease the hotel from the government of Uganda and manage it for the next 25 years, and the hotel was renamed Sheraton Kampala Hotel in 1991. The hotel then underwent extensive renovations.
See also [ edit ]
References [ edit ]
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2017-11-10. Retrieved 2017-11-10. CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- UHG, . "Uganda Hotels by Destination: Sheraton Hotel Kampala". Uganda Hotel Guide (UHG). Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Barigaba, Julius (4 July 2015). "Hotels In Kampala Get Classified, Seven Years On". The EastAfrican. Nairobi. Retrieved 4 July 2015.
- Google (4 July 2015). "Location of Kampala Sheraton Hotel At Google Maps" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 4 July 2015.
- "Today In History; November 12, 1961". Newvision.co.ug. 2011-11-14. Retrieved 2018-09-21.
- "A Stylish Hotel Lives To Mirror Uganda'S Fate". The New York Times. Nytimes.com. 1981-04-20. Retrieved 2018-09-21.
- TET, . (2 October 2012). "Sheraton Kampala Hotel: Kampala's Top Hospitality Venue". © 2014 The European Times - All Rights Reserved. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Newvision Reporter, . (2 February 2015). "Sheraton To Attract More Tourists". New Vision (Kampala). Retrieved 3 February 2015.
[ edit ]
- Official website
- Official chain website
- Changing of The Guards for Sheraton Kampala
- I'll ensure we remain relevant, competitive - new Sheraton General Manager