Kawempe General Hospital
|Kawempe specialised national referral Hospital|
|Uganda Ministry of Health and
Kampala Capital City Authority
|Location||Kawempe, Kampala, Central Region, Uganda|
|Lists||Hospitals in Uganda|
|Other links||Hospitals in Uganda|
Kawempe General Hospital, also known as Kawempe Specialised National Referral Hospital, is a hospital in Uganda. It is an urban, specialised hospital built between 2014 and 2016 at an estimated cost of US$11.3 million (about UGX:40.6 billion). The hospital was constructed by the government of Uganda, with funding from the African Development Bank and the Nigeria Trust Fund.
Location [ edit ]
The hospital is in Kawempe Division, one of the five administrative units of the Kampala Capital City Authority. This location is approximately 12 kilometres (7.5 mi), by road, north of the city's central business district, along the Kampala-Gulu Highway. The coordinates of the hospital are 0°21'43.0"N, 32°33'41.0"E (Latitude:0.361944; Longitude:32.561389).
Overview [ edit ]
In December 2013, the Uganda government, through the Ministry of Health, contracted China National Aero Technology to construct the hospital at an estimated cost of US$15 million (UGX:38 billion). Construction was expected to commence in 2014. In December 2015, Ugandan print media reported that construction of the hospital was nearing completion, with commissioning planned for March 2016.
Target population [ edit ]
Because of rapid urbanization, the night-time population of Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city, is estimated at 2 million, but swells to 4.5 million during the day. The increases in the city's population has exerted extreme pressure on the Mulago National Referral Hospital, the largest public hospital in the country, which also serves as the teaching hospital for the Makerere University College of Health Sciences.
In 2013, the Uganda government obtained a loan from the African Development Bank and the Nigeria Trust Fund to rehabilitate and improve Mulago Hospital, construct Kawempe General Referral Hospital, construct Kiruddu General Hospital, and re-organize healthcare delivery in the city of Kampala, so that some of the patient burden is shifted to the Naguru General Hospital, Kawempe General Hospital, and Kiruddu General Hospital. Mulago will then be reserved for the role for which it was constructed; as a true referral hospital, serving patients referred to it by other health facilities, and not handing common colds and uncomplicated ear infections.
Management [ edit ]
In August 2018, the Uganda Ministry of Health, appointed Dr. Nehemiah Katusiime as the executive director of the hospital, to be deputized by Dr. Lawrence Kazibwe. Both are consultant obstetricians and gynecologists.
See also [ edit ]
References [ edit ]
- "KCCA Kawempe, Kiruddu hospitals construction near completion". New Vision. Kampala. 19 December 2015. Retrieved 19 December 2015.
- Adengo, Jonathan (27 July 2017). "AfDB commends Uganda on project performance". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 27 July 2017.
- Wacha, Joe (14 May 2013). "Government Moves To Construct Referral Hospitals In Kawempe, Makindye". Uganda Radio Network. Retrieved 11 October 2014.
- "Travel Distance Between Central Kampala And Kawempe With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 11 October 2014.
- Google (19 December 2015). "Location of Kawempe General Hospital" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 19 December 2015.
- AfDB (27 June 2013). "Improvement of Health Services Delivery At Mulago Hospital And The City of Kampala Project (MKCCAP)" (PDF). African Development Bank (AfDB). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2 November 2014. Retrieved 11 October 2014.
- Namuli, Zahra (4 December 2013). "Government To Construct More Referral Hospitals". Kampala: National Broadcasting Service (NBS). Retrieved 11 October 2014.
- Ayebazibwe, Agatha (11 October 2014). "Mulago Hospital Renovation Starts". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 11 October 2014.
- Zurah Nakabugo, and Racheal Ninsiima (4 April 2016). "Uganda: Mulago Patient Transfers Begin". The Observer (Uganda) via AllAfrica.com. Kampala. Retrieved 18 June 2016.
- Nabatanzi, Violet (9 August 2018). "Health Ministry Appoints New City Hospital Bosses". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 16 August 2018.
- Namagembe, Lilian (10 August 2018). "Government Appoints Directors for Kiruddu, Kawempe Hospitals". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 16 August 2018.