List of islands and peninsulas of Macau
This article needs to be updated.October 2018)(
|Geography of Macau|
|Other Macau topics|
There is currently one island in the territory of Macau. It is located at the south of Macau Peninsula and at the east of the Hengqin Island of Zhujiang, Guangdong Province, China. The island remains unnamed since its creation in the late 1990s, after the reclamation project of Cotai which filled up the channel between the Taipa Island and Coloane Island.
The Macau Peninsula was once an island on the Pearl River Delta. It has linked to Mainland China as a result of sedimentation to become a peninsula a couple of thousand-years ago. Apart from this case, all of the Macanese former islands were merged either to the Macau Peninsula or the newly unnamed island directly or indirectly as the result of artificial land reclamation.
Peninsula(s) [ edit ]
Island(s) [ edit ]
- The Island of Taipa, Coloane, and Cotai.
- Hengqin: formerly known as the Dom João e Montanha of the Lapa, Dom João, and Montanha islands, part of the islands is under Macanese control as enforced by a Macanese-Chinese agreement.
- Aterro da "Zona A" dos Novos Aterros Urbanos
- Aterro da "Zona C" dos Novos Aterros Urbanos
Former islands [ edit ]
- Macau Island
- Taipa - was itself two islands
- Ilha Verde: connected to Macau Peninsula in 1895 when a causeway (now Avenida do Conselheiro Borja) was built.
- Ilhéu de Macau-Siac: connected to the northeast of Macau Peninsula in January 1921, during the landfilling works for the Macau's Outer Harbour expansion.
- Ilha Kai Kiong: connected to Macau International Airport, Taipa in 1995.
- Pedra d'Areca
- Ilhéu das Lázaras: connected to the northeast of Coloane.
See also [ edit ]
References [ edit ]
- Decisão do Comité Permanente da Assembleia Popular Nacional da República Popular da China relativa à delegação de poderes na Região Administrativa Especial de Macau para o exercício de jurisdição no novo campus da Universidade de Macau a instalar na Ilha da Montanha(in Portuguese)
- REGIÃO ADMINISTRATIVA ESPECIAL DE MACAU(in Portuguese)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-04-02. Retrieved 2014-06-17. CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)