Louis-Marie Ling Mangkhanekhoun
Louis-Marie Ling Mangkhanekhoun
|Apostolic Vicar of Vientiane|
|Church||Roman Catholic Church|
|Appointed||16 December 2017|
|Predecessor||Jean Khamsé Vithavong|
|Other posts||Cardinal-Priest of San Silvestro in Capite (2017–present)|
|Ordination||5 November 1972|
|Consecration||22 April 2001
by Jean Khamsé Vitahavong
|Created cardinal||28 June 2017
by Pope Francis
|Birth name||Louis-Marie Ling Mangkhanekhoun|
8 April 1944|
Louis-Marie Ling Mangkhanekhoun I.V.D. (born 8 April 1944) is a Laotian prelate of the Roman Catholic Church. He has been a cardinal since 28 June 2017 and the Apostolic Vicar of the Apostolic Vicariate of Vientiane, in Laos, since 16 December 2017. He is also the first Cardinal from Laos.
Biography [ edit ]
He is an ethnic Khmu. He was baptized a Catholic in 1952 after missionaries converted his mother. In the 1960s he studied philosophy and theology at the Voluntas Dei seminary in the Diocese of Edmundston, New Brunswick, Canada. He was ordained a priest in a hurried ceremony in a refugee camp on 5 November 1972 for the Apostolic Vicariate of Vientiane, Laos. He spent the years 1984 to 1987 in prison.
On 30 October 2000 Pope John Paul II appointed him Apostolic Vicar of Paksé and titular bishop of Aquae Novae in Proconsulari. He was consecrated a bishop on 22 April 2001 by Bishop Jean Khamsé Vithavong, Apostolic Vicar of Vientiane.
He developed a system of seminary education that requires a candidate for the priesthood, after three years of study, to spend one to three years in pastoral work. He explained that they are "catechists, carrying medicines, aid, prayers for the people of the mountain. They integrate with the villagers, live as the villagers do in everything."
Beginning on 2 February 2017, he also served as apostolic administrator of Vientiane.
On 16 December 2017, Pope Francis named him Apostolic Vicar of Vientiane. Francis made him a member of the Dicastery for Promoting Integral Human Development on 23 December 2017.
References [ edit ]
- "New cardinal from Laos known for kindness and open-minded dialogue". America. Catholic News Service. 25 May 2017. Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- "Annuncio di Concistoro il 28 giugno per la creazione di nuovi Cardinali, 21.05.2017" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 21 May 2017. Retrieved 30 June 2017.
- Affatato, Paolo (25 May 2017). "Il laotiano Ling dal carcere alla porpora". La Stampa (in Italian). Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- "Francesco annuncia la nomina di cinque nuovi cardinali". RAI News (in Italian). 21 May 2017. Retrieved 30 June 2017.
- Brockhaus, Hannah (28 June 2017). "Pope Francis to Five New Cardinals: Jesus 'Calls You to Serve Like Him and With Him'". National Catholic Register. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- Bunson, Matthew E. (26 May 2017). "Pope Francis' Cardinals From the Peripheries". National Catholic Register. Retrieved 30 June 2017.
- "Resignations and Appointments, 16.12.2017" (Press release). Holy See Press Office. 16 December 2017. Retrieved 16 December 2017.
- "Resignations and Appointments, 23.12.2017" (Press release). Holy See Press Office. 23 December 2017. Retrieved 25 December 2017.
[ edit ]
- "Mangkhanekhoun Card. Louis-Marie Ling". Holy See Press Office. Archived from the original on 4 September 2017. Retrieved 24 October 2017.
- Apostolic Vicariate of Paksé (GCatholic.org)
|Catholic Church titles|
|— TITULAR —
Titular Bishop of Aquae Novae in Proconsulari
30 October 2000 – 28 June 2017
|Apostolic Vicar of Paksé
30 October 2000 – 12 December 2017
Jean Khamsé Vithavong
|Apostolic Vicar of Vientiane
12 December 2017 – present
|Cardinal-Priest of San Silvestro in Capite
28 June 2017 – present