District location in Uganda
|Sub-region||West Nile sub-region|
|• Land||1,572.2 km2 (607.0 sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+3 (EAT)|
History [ edit ]
Initially, the counties of Maracha and Terego were removed from Arua District to form a new, single district, which was also known as Maracha–Terego District or Nyadri District. From the district's inception, where to locate its headquarters had been a contentious issue. In February 2007, one group of elected officials from the district asked a court to block the location of the new district headquarters in an opposing location. After nearly five years of disagreement, Terego County opted to return to Arua District and Maracha County went on to form the new district on its own.
Location [ edit ]
The district is bordered by Koboko District to the north, Yumbe District to the north-east, and Arua District to the east and south. The Democratic Republic of the Congo is west of Maracha District. Maracha Town is approximately 39 kilometres (24 mi), by road, north of Arua, the largest town in the sub-region. The coordinates of the district are 03 17N, 30 56E. (Latitude:3.28750; Longitude:30.94000).
Population [ edit ]
In 1991, the national population census estimated the population of the district at 107,600. The 2002 national census estimated the population at 145,700. In 2014, the national population census enumerated the population at 186,134.
Economy [ edit ]
This section does not cite any sources. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Crops raised include:
Notable people [ edit ]
- Abdulatif Tiyua, military officer and former rebel leader
See also [ edit ]
References [ edit ]
- Uganda Bureau of Statistics (27 August 2014). "Population of Maracha District In 1991, 2002 and 2014". Citypopulaton.de. Retrieved 13 June 2016.
- "Districts of Uganda". Statoids. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- Maseruka, Josephine (3 September 2006). "Terego, Maracha Workers Miss Pay". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 13 June 2016.
- Elected officials Bicker About District Headquarters [dead link]
- The Battle for District Headquarters Goes to Court [dead link]
- Bekunda, Catherine; Tebajjukira, Madinah (20 November 2009). "MPs clash over Maracha-Terego district". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 15 January 2017.
- Mugabi, Frank (20 June 2010). "Maracha district elects interim council". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 13 June 2016.
- GFC (13 June 2016). "Distance between Maracha, Northern Region, Uganda and Arua, Northern Region, Uganda". Globefeed.com (GFC). Retrieved 13 June 2016.
- Google (13 June 2016). "Location of Maracha District, Northern Region, Uganda" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 13 June 2016.