|Parent company||Internet Brands |
|Founder||James B. Martindale|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||New Providence, New Jersey|
Martindale-Hubbell is an information services company to the legal profession that was founded in 1868. The company publishes the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory, which provides background information on lawyers and law firms in the United States and other countries. It also published the Martindale Hubbell Law Digest, a summary of laws around the world. Martindale-Hubbell is owned by consumer website company Internet Brands.
History [ edit ]
This section contains content that is written like an advertisement. (October 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This section relies too much on references to primary sources. (October 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This section may contain excessive or inappropriate references to self-published sources. (October 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The neutrality of this article is disputed. (October 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The object of the work is to furnish to Lawyers, Bankers, Wholesale Merchants, Manufacturers, Real Estate Agents, and all others who may have need of business correspondents away from home, the address of one reliable law firm, one reliable bank, and one reliable real estate agent in each city and town in the United States; also to give the laws of the several States on subjects of a commercial character that are of interest or importance to business men, or have a bearing on mercantile transactions and the collection of debts....
In view of constant and rapid changes occurring among Law firms, by reason of death, retirement, election of office, dissolution, and an occasional degeneracy, making the best list of necessity short-lived, and in view of the continual changes being made in the commercial laws of the several States, we will thoroughly revise this work once a year, and publish it annually, on the first of every January."
In 1870, the first edition of Hubbell's Legal Directory was published. The introduction stated, "The vast and extending relations of business, the immense territory over which this business must be transacted, and the difficulties that often occur in obtaining reliable correspondents and information respecting the collection of debts in the different States, seem to create a necessity for a work of this character ..."[page needed][full citation needed]
By 1896, Martindale's Directory included basic information that still appears in today's Martindale-Hubbell Directory. This edition introduced law digests for all the states and provinces. The same year, the 26th edition of the Hubbell's Legal Directory was published.
By combining the Martindale's Directory and Hubbell's Legal Directory, the first edition of the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory was published in 1931 as a two-volume set.
In 1951, a digest was added for Israel. Meanwhile, internal conditions as well as difficulties of communication with Bulgaria, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Poland and Rumania had made it necessary to withdraw publication of law digests for these countries. These law digests were revised and again published in the 1990s. Throughout the years Martindale Hubbell Law Digest, which was revised and published annually, has been considered as an incomplete encyclopaedia of comparative law in English.
In 1990, Martindale-Hubbell was purchased by Reed International P.L.C. Reed Elsevier came into being in 1992, following the merger of Reed International, a British trade book and magazine publisher, and Elsevier, the Netherlands-based scientific publisher.
In 2007, Martindale Hubbell Law Digest ceased to be printed and became available only on CD-ROM and by subscription on-line. In 2009, all the 150 Law Digests could be consulted free of charge on martindale.com.
In October 2013, Reed Elsevier entered into a joint venture with Internet Brands, LLC. In March 2014, the joint venture was completed resulting in the combination of Martindale-Hubbell, Lawyers.com and Internet Brand's Nolo legal division. The joint venture operates under the name of Martindale-Hubbell.
Products and services [ edit ]
- Martindale-Hubbell Ratings provides reviews of lawyers and law firms for consumers and professionals. Martindale.com contains the profiles of over one million lawyers and firms globally.
- Lawyers.com and martindale.com began offering free, online legal assistance to the public in June 1998, and has more than one million lawyers and law firms worldwide in its database. The site contains a database of lawyers in the United States and allows users to search for lawyers using factors like geography, specialty, language and law school. Lawyers in the database are assigned an ISLN (International Standard Lawyer Number).
- The Law Blog includes posts from lawyers on issues, trends and news in the legal profession such as immigration, personal injury, estate planning, etc. In November 2011 the Lawyers.com blog launched a New Jury Roundup weekly news feature entitled, "Editor's Choice: Jury Awards Edition." The news feature reports on large jury awards won by individuals in recent personal injury cases.
References [ edit ]
- "Internet Brands® and LexisNexis Announce Completion of Joint Venture Combining Professional and Consumer Legal Brands"(PDF) (Press release). Internet Brands. 2014-03-03. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- Artley, Meredith (2004-10-23). "Finding legal information online". The New York Times. Nytimes.com. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- "About Martindale-Hubbell". Martindale.com. n.d. Retrieved October 14, 2020.
- Martindale, James B. (1874). Martindale's United States Law Directory for 1874: Containing the Names of One or More of the Most Reliable Law Firms, Banks, and Real Estate Agents in Each of the Principal Cities and Towns of the United States and Canada. Indianopolis, Indiana: J.B. Martindale & Co. p. iii.
- The National Legal Directory. St. Louis, Mo.: Hubbell & Craven. 1870.
- Martindale, James B. (1896). Martindale's American Law Directory (Annual) 1896 (28th ed.). Chicago: J.B.Martindale. p. 4.
- Hubbell, J.H. (1896). Hubbell's Legal Directory for Lawyers and Business Men. New York: The Hubbell Publishing Company. p. 5.
- The Martindale-Hubbbell Law Directory (Annual) (63rd ed.). New York: Martindale Hubbell Law Directory Inc. 1931.
- David, Rene; Brieley, John E.C. (1968). Major Legal Systems in the World Today, An Introduction to the Comparative Study of Law (1 ed.). London: The Free Press, Collier-Macmillan Limited. p. 494.
- Stoffel, Walter A. (1987). "National Reports, Switzerland". In Knapp, Viktor (ed.). International Encyclopedia of Comparative Law. I. Tübingen and Dorderecht, Boston, Lancaster: J.C.B. Mohr (Paul Siebeck) and Martinus Nijhoff Publishers. p. S-201.
- See also, e.g., Rheinstein, Max; Glendon, Mary Ann (2011). "Inheritance". Encyclopædia Britannica, Encyclopædia Britannica Deluxe Edition. Chicago: Encyclopædia Britannica.
- Prokesch, Steven (1992-02-09). "Britain's Low-Profile Publishing Giant". New York Times. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- "The Media Business; Martindale Sold to British Publisher". The New York Times. 1989-11-23.
- Edward A. Gargan (6 October 1994). "Reed-Elsevier Building Big Presence in the U.S." New York Times. Retrieved February 18, 2008.
- LexisHub Staff (2009-10-09). "Press Release: Martindale-Hubbell Law Digests Now Available For Your Free Use". LexisNexis.com LexisNexis® Legal Newsroom Lexis Hub. Retrieved 2016-09-16.
- "LexisNexis® Martindale-Hubbell® and Internet Brands® Announce Joint Venture". relx.com. 2013-08-30. Retrieved 2019-03-13.
Shoptaw, Taylor. "Digest > Adams and Reese Named a Top Law Firm by Fortune". Memphis Daily News.
Martindale-Hubbell peer review ratings are based on the confidential opinions of lawyers and members of the judiciary who provide reviews of lawyers about whom they have professional knowledge.
- Nusbaum, Marci Alboher (2000-05-11). "Untangling the Legal Maze by Surfing the Web". New York Times. Nytimes.com. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- Lee, Jennifer 8. (2001-02-22). "Legal Aid Online; Web's Law Library: A Partial Catalog". New York Times. Nytimes.com. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- Sarji, Hani (2012-04-18). "Declining Health Is Scary: Estate And Financial Planning Can Protect You". Forbes. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- "New Jury Verdict Roundup Launched on Lawyers.com Blog". MarketWatch.com. 2011-11-07. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
[ edit ]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Martindale-Hubbell.|