Masaka in 2014
|Elevation||1,288 m (4,226 ft)|
Location [ edit ]
Masaka is approximately 132 kilometres (82 mi) to the south-west of Kampala on the highway to Mbarara. The city is close to the Equator. The coordinates of Masaka are 0°20'28.0"S, 31°44'10.0"E (Latitude:-0.341111; Longitude:31.736111). Masaka lies t an average elevation of 1,288 metres (4,226 ft) above sea level.
Population [ edit ]
According to the 2002 national census, the population of Masaka was about 67,800. In 2010, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS) estimated the population at 73,300. In 2011, UBOS estimated the mid-year population at 74,100. In August 2014, the national population census put the population at 103,829.
Overview [ edit ]
In 2016, before the metropolis attained city stratus, Masaka occupied 58 square kilometres (22 sq mi). It was divided into three administrative divisions, (a) Katwe-Butego (b) Kimaanya-Kyabakuza and (c) Nyendo-Ssenyange. It is further subdivided into 54 zones.
History [ edit ]
Masaka was founded as a township in 1953. In 1958 it became a town council and became a municipality in 1968. In 2019 the Cabinet of Uganda, resolved to award Masaka city status, effective July 2023.
Points of interest [ edit ]
The following points of interest are located in Masaka or close to its borders: (a) the offices of Masaka City Council (b) Masaka central market (c) the headquarters of the Mechanized Brigade of the Uganda People's Defense Force (d) the main campus of Muteesa I Royal University (d) Western Campus of Kampala University (e) St. Henry's College Kitovu.
Other points of interest include (f) the headquarters of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Masaka (g) Lake Nabugabo, 20 kilometres (12 mi) to the east of downtown Masaka. (h) Bukakkata, on the shores of Lake Victoria, about 36 kilometres (22 mi) east of Masaka. (i) Masaka Regional Referral Hospital (j) Masaka Currency Center, a currency storage and processing facility owned and operated by the Bank of Uganda, Uganda's central bank. (k) A branch of the National Social Security Fund.
Notable people [ edit ]
See also [ edit ]
Photos [ edit ]
References [ edit ]
- UBOS (27 August 2014). "The Population of The Regions of the Republic of Uganda And All Cities And Towns of More Than 15,000 Inhabitants". Citypopulation.de Quoting Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- Franklin Draku (22 May 2019). "Cabinet Elevates 15 Municipalities To Cities". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 1 June 2019.
- Fields, Megan (December 2009). "Masaka: Big Shoes, Small Feet". Wordpress.com (Megan Fields Blog). Retrieved 17 April 2014.
- Globefeed.com (1 June 2019). "Distance between Kampala, Uganda and Masaka, Uganda". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 1 June 2019.
- Google (1 June 2019). "Location of Masaka City At Google Maps" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 1 June 2019.
- Floodmap (2018). "Elevation of Masaka, Uganda". Floodmap.net. Retrieved 3 June 2019.
- "Estimated Population of Masaka In 2002, 2010 & 2011"(PDF). Uganda Bureau of Statistics. Archived from the original(PDF) on 7 July 2014. Retrieved 17 April 2014.
- Martins Ssekweyama (15 June 2016). "Masaka Town Expands To Get City Status". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 1 June 2019.
- Isa Aliga, and Al-Mahdi Ssenkabirwa (10 June 2019). "Kabaka Faults Government On Delayed Masaka City Status". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 11 June 2019.
- Google (1 June 2019). "Location of UPDF Mechanized Brigade Barracks" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 1 June 2019.
- Campus Times Reporter (15 January 2014). "Courses offered at Muteesa I Royal University". Kampala: Campus Times Uganda. Retrieved 1 June 2019.
- Google (1 June 2019). "Location of St. Henry's College Kitovu, Masaka, Uganda" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 1 June 2019.
- David M. Cheney (June 2019). "About the Roman Catholic Diocese of Masaka". Kansas City: Catholic-Hierarchy.org. Retrieved 1 June 2019.
- Lake Nabugabo Terrace View Beach (2014). "Location of Lake Nabugabo". Lake Nabugabo Terrace View Beach. Retrieved 1 June 2019.
- Globefeed.com (1 June 2019). "Distance between Masaka, Uganda and Bukakata, Uganda". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 1 June 2019.
- "Bank of Uganda Maintains A Currency Center In Masaka". Bank of Uganda. Retrieved 17 April 2014.
[ edit ]
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Masaka.|
- Masaka Town Expands To Get City Status
- Lake Nabugabo Homepage
- Masaka District Internet Portal
- River Of Life Church & Orphanage
- Uganda International Marathon, Masaka