District location in Uganda
|• Total||542.8 km2 (209.6 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,600 m (5,200 ft)|
|• Density||361.6/km2 (937/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+3 (EAT)|
Location [ edit ]
Mitooma District is bordered by Bushenyi District to the north, Sheema District to the east, Ntungamo District to the south, and Rukungiri District to the west. Mitooma, where the district headquarters are located is located approximately 25 kilometres (16 mi), by road, southwest of Bushenyi, the nearest large town. This location lies approximately 85 kilometres (53 mi), by road, west of Mbarara, the largest city in Ankole sub-region. The coordinates of the district are:00 36S, 30 00E.
Overview [ edit ]
The district was created by Act of Parliament and became functional on 1 July 2010. Prior to then, the district used to be Ruhinda County in Bushenyi District. Mitooma district is part of Ankole sub-region. The sub-region, which is coterminous with the Ankole Kingdom, comprises the following districts: 1. Buhweju District 2. Bushenyi District 3. Ibanda District 4. Isingiro District 5. Kiruhura District 6. Mitooma District 7. Ntungamo District 8. Rubirizi District and 9. Sheema District. The sub-region was home to an estimated 2.2 million people as of 2002, according to the national census conducted that year.
Population [ edit ]
In 1991, the national population census estimated the district population at about 134,300. In 2002, the national census estimated the population of the district at about 160,800. In 2012, the population of Mitooma District was estimated at approximately 196,300.
Prominent people [ edit ]
- Ambassador Najuna-Njuneki - Politician and Diplomat. He is currently the Ambassador in charge of Special Duties in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Focal Point for Commercial And Economic Diplomacy.
- Major General Kahinda Otafiire- Minister of Justice & Constitutional Affairs in the Ugandan Cabinet.And Bikwasi Haruna Rwamutakitwe A business man from Kirembe Nyihanda Mitooma Ruhinda A son of Late DR Abu Bikwasi from Kayanga village in Mitooma district
Schools [ edit ]
Tertiary Schools [ edit ]
- Kabira Technical Institute
Secondary and High School [ edit ]
- Kyeibare Girls Secondary School
- St. Noah Secondary School, Mutara
- Ijumo Progressive Secondary School
- Kigarama Secondary School, Bitereko.
- Bubangizi Senior Secondary School, Kashenshero.
See also [ edit ]
References [ edit ]
- "Map Showing Bushenyi And Mitooma With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 20 May 2014.
- "Road Distance Between Mbarara And Mitooma With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 20 May 2014.
- Vision, Reporters (22 April 2010). "Government Names 14 New Districts". New Vision. Archived from the original on 29 October 2013. Retrieved 20 May 2014.
- "Estimated Population of Mitooma District In 1991, 2002 & 2012". Citypopulaton.de. Retrieved 20 May 2014.