|Capital||Namisindwa Town Council|
(July 2016 Estimate)
|Time zone||UTC+3 (EAT)|
Location [ edit ]
Namisindwa District is bordered by Bududa District to the north, Kenya to the east and south, Tororo District to the south-west, and Manafwa District to the west. The district headquarters at Bupoto are located approximately 40 kilometres (25 mi), by road, south-east of Mbale, the largest city of in the sub-region.
Overview [ edit ]
Namisindwa District became operational on 1 July 2017. Prior to that the new district was "East Bubulo County" in Manafwa District. The rationale for creating the new district was (a) to bring services closer to the people and (b) create jobs and reduce youth unemployment.
As of August 2015, the district had 80 schools. The district terrain in described as "hilly", and prone to soil erosion during the rainy season. The gravel roads need frequent maintenance. The Bumbobi–Bubulo–Lwakhakha Road traverses the district in a general northwest to southeast direction.
Population [ edit ]
In 2009, the population of Namisindwa District (Bubulo County East), was estimated at approximately 177,000. In July 2016, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS), estimated the district population at approximately 178,746.
See also [ edit ]
References [ edit ]
- UBOS (1 July 2016). "Manafwa District Parliamentary Constituencies as of 1st July 2016" (PDF). Kampala: Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 28 October 2017.
- Vision Reporter (11 March 2009). "Creation of Namisindwa district approved". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 28 October 2017.
- GFC (28 October 2017). "Distance between Mbale, Eastern Region, Uganda and Bupoto Primary School, Bubulo, Eastern Region, Uganda". Globefeed.com (GFC). Retrieved 28 October 2017.
- Moses Mulondo, and Mary Karugaba (18 August 2015). "Cabinet approves creation of 22 new districts". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 28 October 2017.
- GFC (15 July 2015). "Road Distance Between Bumbobi And Lwakhakha With Interactive Map". Globefeed.com (GFC). Retrieved 15 July 2015.
[ edit ]
- Government Tables Proposal on New Districts Aa of 18 July 2012.