Newport Half Marathon
|Newport Half Marathon|
Admiral City of Newport Wales Half Marathon Logo
|Primary sponsor||Admiral Insurance|
|Official site||City of Newport Half Marathon|
Newport Half Marathon
City of Newport
and (inset) within Wales
The Admiral City of Newport Half Marathon (Welsh: Admiral Hanner Marathon Dinas Casnewydd) is an annual half marathon race held in the Welsh city of Newport, Wales, taking place in March. The event was established in 2013, organised by the charity St. Davids Hospice Care.
Background [ edit ]
The title sponsor is locally based Admiral Insurance, and the race has grown to accommodate up to almost 2,000 runners. Additional sponsors include Skechers, the South Wales Argus, the University of South Wales, Newport City Council and the city's sports authority Newport Live.
The course is scenic, first travelling into Pillgwenlly and past the Grade 1-listed Transporter Bridge, then routing along the Newport city riverfront, Usk river pathways, and onto the historic Route 88 Caerleon to Cardiff Sustrans cycle path, as well as sometimes heading over iconic bridges in the city.
Each year the route passes the historic Roman remains of the fortress town Caerleon (Isca Augusta), which dates back to 74 AD. The route includes a section past the UK's best preserved amphitheatre, the thermae at Caerleon Roman Baths Museum and the National Roman Legion Museum, before following Caerleon Road back into the city centre for the finishline.
Event history [ edit ]
2019 results [ edit ]
1,931 runners competed in the 2019 race, which took place on 3 March 2019, the first held since 2017. The event also included a 2 km fun run and other family events on 2 March, at Friars Walk, Newport.
The male winner was the course record holder Chris Carpanini, winning for the second time with a time of 01:08:18. Sioned Howells of Amman Valley Harriers was the fastest female with a time of 01:22:59. 
2018 cancellation [ edit ]
In 2018, the Newport Half Marathon was beset by unseasonably snowy weather, with two attempted dates on Sunday, 4 March and then again on Sunday, 17 March both cancelled.
Organisers St Davids Hospice Care's fundraising efforts were hit severely. The organisation reorganised for 2019 and asked participants to defer their entry for the following year.
2017 results [ edit ]
1,878 runners finished the race in 2017, with Micky Morris Racing Team's Chris Carpanini placing first, setting an event record time of 1:09:54, and Natasha Cockram of Cwmbran Pub Runners first among the women with a time of 1:21:13.
2016 results [ edit ]
1,555 runners competed in the 2016 race with Swansea Harriers' Phillip Matthews winning with a time of 1:13:40, and Totton Running Club's Helen Wallington placing highest among the women, with a time of 1:24:30.
2015 results [ edit ]
1,845 runners competed in the 2015 race with Harry Jones (unaffiliated) winning with a time of 1:11:57, and Emma Wookey of Lliswerry Runners setting the current event record women's time at 1:16:46.
2014 results [ edit ]
2013 results [ edit ]
Of 1,062 runners, Ryan McFlynn of Fairwater Runners Cwmbran placed first with a time of 1:17:23 and Annabel Granger was the fastest woman with a time of 1:21:45.
References [ edit ]
- "500 runners sign up for Newport half marathon". South Wales Argus. Retrieved 27 February 2019.
- Sport, Full On. "Full On Sport - Online Event Registration and Management Software for Race Directors". www.fullonsport.com. Retrieved 27 February 2019.
- "Thousands run in city's new marathon". 29 April 2018. Retrieved 27 February 2019.
- "WHAT'S ON: Family fun run in city centre ahead of Admiral Half Marathon". South Wales Argus. Retrieved 27 February 2019.
- AM, John Griffiths (3 March 2019). "Good to have completed another @NewportHalf @SDFHCpic.twitter.com/8IJ5fRhjAB". @JGriffithsLab. Retrieved 3 March 2019.
- Mooi, CJ de (3 March 2019). "I ran the Newport half marathon the morning. I only used it as a training run (after yesterday's cross country league) but now time for a steam and pizza!". @cjdemooi. Retrieved 3 March 2019.
- Sport, Full On. "St David Hospice - Online Event Registration and Management Software for Race Directors". www.fullonsport.com. Retrieved 4 March 2019.
- Knapman, Joshua (19 March 2018). "Newport half marathon has now been completely cancelled for 2018". walesonline. Retrieved 27 February 2019.
- St David's Hospice Care. City of Newport Half Marathon 2017 results. cityofnewporthalfmarathon.com. Retrieved 2019-03-03
- St David's Hospice Care. City of Newport Half Marathon 2016 results. cityofnewporthalfmarathon.com. Retrieved 2019-03-03
- St David's Hospice Care. City of Newport Half Marathon 2015 results. cityofnewporthalfmarathon.com. Retrieved 2019-03-03
- St David's Hospice Care. City of Newport Half Marathon 2014 results. cityofnewporthalfmarathon.com. Retrieved 2019-03-03
- St David's Hospice Care. City of Newport Half Marathon 2013 results. cityofnewporthalfmarathon.com. Retrieved 2019-03-03