Hexum in 2007
|Birth name||Nicholas Lofton Hexum|
|Also known as||DJ Lofton|
April 12, 1970|
Madison, Wisconsin, U.S.
|Origin||Omaha, Nebraska, U.S.|
Nicholas Lofton Hexum (born April 12, 1970) is an American singer, songwriter and rapper, currently the vocalist and guitarist for the multi-platinum alternative rock band 311 and The Nick Hexum Quintet.
Early life [ edit ]
Born in Madison, Wisconsin, to father Dr. Terry Hexum and mother Pat, Hexum went to Westside High School in Omaha, Nebraska. There he played in the school's concert jazz band, and played in several local bands like "The Extras", "The Eds", "The Right Profile", and "Unity". In the late 1980s, Nick moved to Los Angeles to pursue music, but found his opportunity back home in Omaha just a couple years later. His friend and future bandmate Chad Sexton convinced him to move back to Omaha to start a band with friends Aaron Wills and Jim Watson; this band would eventually take the name 311.
311 [ edit ]
311 began playing together in 1988. In 1990, Hexum realized the only way for 311 to gain recognition was to release albums, so he started his own record company called "What Have You Records" and used it to begin releasing 311 titles. The band released three albums, Dammit!, Unity, and Hydroponic, as well as one EP, Downstairs EP, before signing to Capricorn Records in 1992.
311 has sold over 9 million albums in the US. They have had seven albums in the Top 10 on Billboard's US Top 200 Sales Chart, and nine singles in the Top 10 on Billboard's US Alternative Chart (including three #1 singles). 311 has headlined amphitheaters in the US for the past 11 consecutive summers.
Personal life [ edit ]
Hexum had a relationship with Nicole Scherzinger of The Pussycat Dolls from 2000 to 2004. Hexum married his wife Nikki on New Year's Eve 2008. Their daughter Echo was born in a home birth on August 29, 2009. Their second daughter, Maxine, was born May 1, 2011, also Nikki's birthday. Due to the absence of his family's midwife, Hexum performed the delivery. Their third daughter, Harlow, was born September 16, 2014.  Harlow starred in the TV series Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. as Ayla Fitz.
Discography [ edit ]
with 311 [ edit ]
- Dammit! (1990)
- Unity (1991)
- Hydroponic EP (1992)
- Music (1993)
- Grassroots (1994)
- 311 (1995)
- Transistor (1997)
- Soundsystem (1999)
- From Chaos (2001)
- Evolver (2003)
- Don't Tread on Me (2005)
- Uplifter (2009)
- Universal Pulse (2011)
- Stereolithic (2014)
- Mosaic (2017)
- Voyager (2019)
with The Nick Hexum Quintet [ edit ]
- My Shadow Pages (2013)
with George Clanton [ edit ]
- Crash Pad/King For a Day (2019)
- Under Your Window/Out of the Blue (2019)
- George Clanton & Nick Hexum (2020)
Guest appearances [ edit ]
- The Urge - Master of Styles (1998, vocals on "Jump Right In")
- Sugar Ray - Sugar Ray (2001, vocals on "Stay On")
- Goldfinger - The Knife (2017, vocals on "Liftoff")
- Dirty Heads - Swim Team (2017, vocals on "So Glad You Made It")
References [ edit ]
- "UNMC researcher cheers on musical sons - UNMC". App1.unmc.edu. Retrieved 17 November 2017.
- Hexum, Nick [@NickHexum] (2009-08-29). "Echo Hexum was born at home today at four in the morning. Words cannot describe how amazing it was. Time to go to bed..." (Tweet). Retrieved 2020-02-23 – via Twitter.
- "311's Nick Hexum Delivers Daughter Maxine". People. June 16, 2011. Retrieved February 23, 2020.
- Hexum, Nick [@NickHexum] (2014-09-16). "Healthy baby girl Harlow born into the Hexum family at 3:42 on 9/16/14. 7 lbs. 15 oz. Overjoyed!" (Tweet). Retrieved 2019-07-28 – via Twitter.
- "Portrait Records Signs Holiday Supergroup Band Of Merrymakers". Prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2015-12-10.