|• District Chairman (LCV)||Douglas Peter Okello|
|Time zone||UTC+3 (EAT)|
Location [ edit ]
Omoro District is bordered by Gulu District to the north, Pader District to the east, Oyam District to the south and Nwoya District to the west. The town of Palenga, where the district headquarters are located is about 24 kilometres (15 mi), by road, south of Gulu, the largest city in the Acholi sub-region. This is approximately 311 kilometres (193 mi), by road, north of Kampala, the largest city and capital of Uganda.
Overview [ edit ]
Omoro District was created by the Parliament of Uganda on 3 September 2015, and became operational on 1 July 2016. Prior to its creation, Omoro was "Omoro County" in neighboring Gulu District. The rationale for its creation was to "bring services closer to the people" and to improve "service delivery" to the constituents.
Points of interest [ edit ]
The main road from Kampala to Gulu (Kampala-Gulu Road), passes through the district in a general south to north direction.
Notable people [ edit ]
The deputy speaker of parliament in Uganda, Jacob Oulanyah, also concurrently serves as the elected representative of Omoro District in parliament, starting back when Omoro was a county in Gulu District.
References [ edit ]
- Labeja, Peter (29 September 2016). "Omoro District Finally Constitutes Government". Kampala: Uganda Radio Network. Retrieved 8 August 2017.
- GTUN (March 2016). "Uganda District Map". Kampala: Guidetouganda.net (GTUN). Retrieved 8 August 2017.
- Google (8 August 2017). "Map of Omoro District Showing Its Location In Uganda" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 8 August 2017.
- GFC (8 August 2017). "Distance between Gulu, Northern Region, Uganda and Palenga, Northern Region, Uganda". Globefeed.com (GFC). Retrieved 8 August 2017.
- GFC (8 August 2017). "Distance between Post Office Building, Kampala Road, Kampala, Uganda and Palenga, Northern Region, Uganda". Globefeed.com (GFC). Retrieved 8 August 2017.
- POU (3 September 2015). "Parliament creates 23 new districts". Kampala: Parliament of Uganda (POU). Retrieved 8 August 2017.
- Google (8 August 2017). "Map Showing the main Kampala-Gulu Road In Omoro District" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 8 August 2017.
- Ocungi, Julius (19 February 2016). "Speaker Oulanyah declared winner of Omoro County, opposition order vote recount". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 8 August 2017.