Ontario Highway 503
Highway 503 was a provincial secondary highway in Ontario, Canada, that existed between 1956 and 1998. Between 1956 and 1963, the highway stretched from Kirkfield to Sebright, and then along the Monck Road from Sebright to Kinmount, entirely within Victoria County. In 1964, the route was extended to Highway 121 in Tory Hill along the route of Highway 500, which was removed from the network. Its total distance of 116.8 kilometres (72.6 mi) was downloaded to the various counties in which it resided. Today the road exists as:
- Municipal Road 6 and Municipal Road 45 in the city of Kawartha Lakes
- County Road 503 in the county of Peterborough
- County Road 503 in the county of Haliburton
Kawartha Lakes Road 45 [ edit ]
Kawartha Lakes Road 45 (also known as Monck Road) is a municipally-maintained class-3 roadway located in the city of Kawartha Lakes, in the Canadian province of Ontario. The road crosses the entire city from west to east, passing through several unincorporated villages along the way, Sebright, Uphill, Norland, Dongola and Kinmount. The road runs in a predominantly east–west direction and covers a distance of 50.0 kilometres (31.1 mi), primarily rural geography. Its western terminus is Kirkfield Road (Kawartha Lakes Road 6), and its eastern terminus is the Bobcaygeon Road.
Prior to 1 January 1998, the Kawartha Lakes Road 45 in its entirety was designated as Secondary Highway 503. Highway 503 was commissioned in 1956, loosely following the Monck Road colonization road.
Major intersections [ edit ]
|Kawartha Lakes||Sebright||0.0||0.0||Municipal Road 6||Western terminus of Kawartha Lakes Road 45, road continues west as County Road 45|
|Uphill||15.3||9.5||Municipal Road 35 (Victoria Road)||Victoria Road historic colonization trail|
|25.6||15.9||Municipal Road 41 (Rush Lake Road)|
|Dongola||39.7||24.7||Municipal Road 42 (Baseline Road)|
|Municipal Road 121||Concurrent with Municipal Road 121 for 0.2 kilometres. Formerly Highway 121|
|49.9||31.0||Municipal Road 121 (Lindsay Street)||End of concurrency with Kawartha Lakes Road 121|
|50.0||31.1||Bobcaygeon Road||Bobcaygeon historic colonization trail. Eastern terminus of Kawartha Lakes Road 45, road continues east as Peterborough County Road 503|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
References [ edit ]
- "Ontario Highway 503 Route Map - the King's Highways of Ontario".
- city of Kawartha Lakes, Kawartha Lakes winter maintenance priorities schedule (PDF), archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-07-26, retrieved 2009-10-11
- Google Maps - Kawartha Lakes Road 45 (length and route) , retrieved 2009-11-02
- Muskoka and the Kawartha's, 1999 edition road map, MapArt, 1999
- History of Ontario Highway 503 , retrieved 2009-11-09
Google (November 3, 2009). "Google Maps - Kawartha Lakes Roads 45 and 121 (length and route of concurrency)" (Map). Google Maps. Google.
|url=(help) No URL entered.