This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (August 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Mayor of Prague|
28 November 2002 – 30 November 2010
|Preceded by||Igor Němec|
|Succeeded by||Bohuslav Svoboda|
|Member of the Chamber of Deputies|
29 May 2010 – 28 August 2013
18 July 1963|
|Children||2 - Jáchym, Matouš|
|Alma mater||Charles University in Prague, Johns Hopkins University|
Pavel Bém (born 18 July 1963) is a Czech physician and politician. Between 28 November 2002 and 30 November 2010 he served as the Mayor of the Capital City of Prague, and re-elected in 2006. On 19 November 2006 he was elected Deputy Leader of the Civic Democratic Party.
Bém studied medicine at the Charles University in Prague, specializing in psychiatry and subsequently devoted most of his medical career to the treatment of drug addiction. He served on a government anti-narcotics commission.
Bém has many interests besides his political career, including mountain climbing, sea diving, and playing the piano. On 18 May 2007 Bem fulfilled his "childhood dream" of reaching the peak of Mount Everest. On 1 August 2012 he climbed the second highest peak in the world, K2, together with Peter Hamor, and without supplemental oxygen.
Bém is a close friend of billionaire Roman Janoušek.
References [ edit ]
- "ODS v Praze 1 po tahanicích nepodpořila Béma ani Topolánka". Novinky.cz. Retrieved 9 November 2014.
- Lazarová, Daniela (May 29, 2007). "Prague's lord mayor climbs Mount Everest and comes down to earth with a bump". Radio Prague. Retrieved November 9, 2014.
- "Polski Himalaizm Zimowy". Polskihimalaizmzimowy.pl. Archived from the original on 17 April 2014. Retrieved 9 November 2014.
- Zuzana Kaiserová, Bém se vzdal regulovaného nájmu. Vydělal tak 3,5 milionu, iDNES, 26. května 2009
[ edit ]
- Official website (English version also present)
- Civic Democratic Party (in English)
- Civic Democratic Party Prague
|This article about a mayor in the Czech Republic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|