Pope Benedict IV
This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed.
(May 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Papacy began||1 February 900|
|Papacy ended||July 903|
|Born||Rome, Papal States|
|Other popes named Benedict|
Pope Benedict IV (Latin: Benedictus IV; died 30 July 903) was Pope from 1 February 900 to his death in 903. The tenth-century historian Flodoard, who nicknamed him "the Great", commended his noble birth and public generosity. He succeeded Pope John IX (898–900) and was followed by Pope Leo V (903).
Biography [ edit ]
Benedict was a native of Rome, the son of one Mammalus, and was ordained priest by Pope Formosus. In 900, he excommunicated Baldwin II of Flanders for murdering Fulk, Archbishop of Reims. In 901, Benedict crowned Louis of Provence, grandson of Louis II as Holy Roman Emperor. In 902, Berengar of Friuli defeated Louis III and forced him to leave Italy.
See also [ edit ]
References [ edit ]
- Mann, Horace. "Pope Benedict IV." The Catholic Encyclopedia Vol. 2. New York: Robert Appleton Company, 1907. 21 September 2017
- Platina, Bartolomeo (1479), The Lives of the Popes From The Time Of Our Saviour Jesus Christ to the Accession of Gregory VII, I, London: Griffith Farran & Co., pp. 241–242, retrieved 2013-04-25
- Mann, Horace, K. The Lives of the Popes in the Early Middle Ages, Vol IV: The Popes in the Days of Feudal Anarchy, 891–999. 1925 p. 105
- "The 117th Pope", Spirituality.org., Diocese of Bridgeport
- This article incorporates text from the 1913 Catholic Encyclopedia article "Pope Benedict IV" by Horace K. Mann, a publication now in the public domain.
Literature [ edit ]
- Bertolini, Ottorino (1966). "Benedetto IV, papa". Dizionario Biografico degli Italiani, Volume 8: Bellucci–Beregan (in Italian). Rome: Istituto dell'Enciclopedia Italiana. pp. 27–31.
- Ottorino Bertolini: Benedetto IV. In: Massimo Bray (ed.): Enciclopedia dei Papi, Istituto della Enciclopedia Italiana, Vol. 2 (Niccolò I, santo, Sisto IV), Rome, 2000, OCLC 313581688, pp. 54–58
- Rudolf Schieffer (1980). "Benedikt IV". Lexikon des Mittelalters, I: Aachen bis Bettelordenskirchen (in German). Stuttgart and Weimar: J. B. Metzler. col. 1858. ISBN 3-7608-8901-8.
[ edit ]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Benedict IV.|
- Papa Benedikto IV katika Kamusi Elezo ya Kikatoliki
- Encyclopædia Britannica
- Opera Omnia by Migne Patrologia Latina with analytical indexes
|Catholic Church titles|
of the faithful
|Early Middle Ages|
|High Middle Ages||
|Late Middle Ages|