Popular Unity (Brazil)
|Founded||16 June 2016|
|Registered||10 December 2019|
|Headquarters||SQN 316, Bloco K, 330
|Political position||Left-wing |
|TSE Identification Number||80|
This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
Popular Unity (Portuguese: Unidade Popular, UP), or Popular Unity for Socialism (Portuguese: Unidade Popular pelo Socialismo, UPS), is a Brazilian politician party founded on 16 June 2016, which had its right to launch candidacies recognized by the Superior Electoral Court (TSE) on 10 December 2019.
The party is connected to movement that act in defense of popular housing and defends the nationalization of the bank system, the social control of all monopolies and capitalist consortiums and of the means of production in strategic sector of the economy and the Popular Agrarian Reform.
On 10 December 2019, TSE approved the party registration and conceded the number 80 for pollings.
Ideology [ edit ]
The party defends socialists ideas and the overcoming of the capitalism, fighting against the international financial capital and the richest ones.
The UP proposes to be a pole that contributes with the reorganization of the left-wing in the middle of the poor people from a revolutionary program, but which, at the same time, dialogues with the people. Who should we fight? The international financial capital and the richest ones, the classes which dominate Brazil, that bring since the slavery the racism, sexism, authoritarism and, specially, the anti-poor politics that makes Brazil being dependent, humiliated and plundered as it is today.— Leonardo Péricles, President of the Popular Unity
Electoral Registration Process [ edit ]
Other movements, such as the União da Juventude Rebelião, the Movimento de Luta nos Bairros, Vilas e Favelas, the Movimento Luta de Classes e o Movimento de Mulheres Olga Benário heve integrated the efforts of the registry.
The collection of support signatures for the party's registration with the TSE began in 2014. According to paragraph 2 of article 7 of Resolution 23.465 of the TSE, the minimum support must correspond to at least 0.5% of the votes given in the last general election for the Chamber of Deputies (approximately 500 thousand), not counting blank and null votes, distributed among a third or more of the states, with a minimum of 0.1% of the electorate that voted in each of them. By October 27, 2018, the Popular Unity for Socialism had over 418,000 validated signatures of support. According to the organization, more than one million support forms were filled out.
2018 Elections [ edit ]
At the time without the registration before the TSE, in 2018 the Popular Unity did not participate in the elections. Despite this, it was able to support and compose the campaign of left-wing candidates. Most of the support went to candidates from the Socialism and Liberty Party and the Workers' Party.
Presidential Election [ edit ]
In the presidential election, UP declared its support for Guilherme Boulos and Sônia Guajajara as candidates for the PSOL. According to the organization, the support to the plate is due to the fact that it is "the only one willing to adopt the taxation of the great fortunes and revoke the measures of home-injury of Michel Temer's government, among them the Labor Reform and the PEC of freezing social investments".
Municipal elections of 2020 [ edit ]
In the 2020 elections, the party has launched the following pre-candidatures:
- student João Coelho in São Bernardo do Campo, but did not appear on the final list of candidates;
- Pedro Laurentino in Teresina;
- Rafael Freire in João Pessoa,;
- Paula Colares in Fortaleza;
- Lenilda Luna in Maceió;
- Vivian Mendes in São Paulo; and
- Amanda Bispo in Mauá.
For the elections, the party will receive R$1.2 million (US$ 310,000) from the electoral fund.
References [ edit ]
- "TSE aprova registro do estatuto e do órgão de direção nacional do partido Unidade Popular (UP)" (in Portuguese). Tribunal Superior Eleitoral. 10 December 2019. Retrieved 27 February 2020.
- Amorim, Felipe (10 December 2019). "Brasil ganha seu 33º partido: Unidade Popular é de esquerda e socialista" (in Portuguese). Uol. Retrieved 27 February 2020.
- Amorim, Felipe (10 December 2019). "Brasil ganha seu 33º partido: Unidade Popular é de esquerda e socialista". UOL. Retrieved 11 December 2019.
- "TSE aprova criação da Unidade Popular, o 33° partido político no país" (in Portuguese). Poder360. 10 December 2019. Retrieved 27 February 2020.
- "Unidade Popular: contra os banqueiros, Boulos para presidente! - Partido Comunista Revolucionário – PCR". Retrieved 2020-05-26.
- "Unidade Popular realiza congresso nacional para se constituir como partido político" (in Portuguese). Revista Fórum. 23 March 2019. Retrieved 27 February 2020.
- "TSE oficializa e Brasil ganha novo partido político: o Unidade Popular (UP), de esquerda e socialista" (in Portuguese). Revista Fórum. 10 December 2019. Retrieved 27 February 2020.
- "Unidade Popular pelo Socialismo: É necessário o poder político nas mãos dos trabalhadores". Jornal A Verdade (in Portuguese). December 30, 2014. Retrieved October 23, 2018.
- "Campanha de legalização da Unidade Popular pelo Socialismo se inicia em todo o Brasil". Jornal A Verdade (in Portuguese). August 17, 2014. Retrieved October 21, 2018.
- "Tudo o que você precisa saber sobre registro de partidos políticos". Tribunal Superior Eleitoral (in Portuguese). August 24, 2017. Retrieved October 27, 2018.
- "Partidos em formação". Tribunal Superior Eleitoral (in Portuguese). Retrieved October 21, 2018.
- "Vai dar Unidade Popular: Campanha pela legalização da Unidade Popular chega à reta final com dedicação total da militância". Jornal A Verdade (in Portuguese). May 27, 2018. Retrieved October 27, 2018.
- "Facebook: A Unidade Popular já recolheu mais de 1 milhão de assinaturas de apoio em todo o país!". Unidade Popular pelo Socialismo (in Portuguese). August 9, 2018. Retrieved October 27, 2018.
- "Unidade Popular: Contra os banqueiros, Boulos para Presidente". Partido Comunista Revolucionário - PCR (in Portuguese). September 1, 2018. Retrieved October 23, 2018.
- "João Coelho é pré-candidato a prefeito de São Bernardo pela UP" (in Portuguese). April 22, 2020. Archived from the original on August 14, 2020. Retrieved August 13, 2020.
- "Conheça os candidatos a prefeito e vice de São Bernardo nas eleições de 2020" [Meet the candidates for mayor and vice mayor of São Bernardo in the 2020 elections] (in Portuguese). 2020-09-26. Archived from the original on 2020-09-29. Retrieved 2020-09-26.
- "Pedro Laurentino é pré-candidato da UP à Prefeitura de Teresina" (in Portuguese). July 17, 2020. Retrieved August 14, 2020.
- "Pré-candidato a prefeito de João Pessoa pelo UP descarta possibilidade de ser vice" (in Portuguese). August 7, 2020. Retrieved August 14, 2020.
- "Contribua com a nossa pré-candidatura popular" (in Portuguese). August 15, 2020. Retrieved August 16, 2020.
- Unidade Popular lança pré-candidatura de Lenilda Luna à prefeitura de Maceió, acesso em 18 de agosto de 2020.
- "2º Congresso da UP – SP: Ditadura nunca mais!" [2nd UP Congress - SP: Dictatorship never again!] (in Portuguese). March 17, 2020. Archived from the original on August 19, 2020. Retrieved August 19, 2020.
- "Brasil pode ultrapassar a marca de um milhão de candidatos nas eleições 2020" (in Portuguese). February 11, 2020. Archived from the original on July 9, 2020. Retrieved August 14, 2020.
[ edit ]
77 - SOLIDARIEDADE
| Number of Brazilian Official Polical Parties
80 - PU (UP)
90 - RPSO (PROS)