|Occupation||Bureau Chief for Financial Times
|Known for||Journalist in the Asia Pacific region|
|Author of Party, Secret world of CPC.|
Richard McGregor (born 1958) is an Australian journalist, writer, and author. He is currently the bureau chief for the Financial Times based in Washington DC, US. He previously was based in Japan and also other locations such as Shanghai, Taiwan, Sydney, Melbourne and London.
Life [ edit ]
Richard McGregor was born in Sydney, Australia. He has worked as a journalist in Taiwan, Sydney, Canberra and Melbourne, and was the chief political correspondent, Japan correspondent, and China correspondent for The Australian. He also worked for the International Herald Tribune, the BBC and the Far Eastern Economic Review, and is the former bureau chief for the Financial Times.
He appeared on the Charlie Rose show on 18 January 2011 to discuss Chinese President Hu Jintao's visit to Washington D.C.; and on 6 September 2017 to discuss Asian, especially Chinese-Japanese, international relations, and the United States' role in Asia.
Notable works [ edit ]
- Japan Swings : Politics, Culture and Sex in the New Japan (Allen & Unwin, 1996) ISBN 1864480777
- The Party: The Secret World of China's Communist Rulers (Allen Lane, 2010) ISBN 9781846141737
- McGregor, Richard (2017). Asia's Reckoning: China, Japan, and the Fate of U.S. Power in the Pacific Century. Viking. ISBN 978-0399562679.
- Xi Jinping: The Backlash (Penguin Random House Australia, 2019) ISBN 9781760893040
Awards [ edit ]
McGregor won the 2010 Society of Publishers in Asia (SOPA) Editorial Excellence Award for reporting on the Xinjiang Riots; and prior to that, the SOPA Award in 2008 for Editorial Intelligences.
References [ edit ]
- "Richard McGregor (@mcgregorrichard) | Twitter". twitter.com. Retrieved 28 October 2018.
- "Richard McGregor". HarperCollins US.
- "Financial Times appoints Richard McGregor Washington Bureau Chief". Financial Times. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- Maura Elizabeth Cunningham (25 June 2010). "The China Beat · An Interview with Richard McGregor, Author of The Party". www.thechinabeat.org. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- "The Party, The Secret World of China's Communist Rulers by Richard McGregor". www.penguin.co.uk. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- McGregor, Richard. "The Party - Richard McGregor - Hardcover". HarperCollins US. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- "Richard McGregor". www.huffingtonpost.com.
- "Financial Times Names Richard McGregor Washington Bureau Chief". www.adweek.com. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- "Financial Times appoints Richard McGregor Washington Bureau Chief". aboutus.ft.com.
- "Charlie Rose - Richard McGregor". charlierose.com. 18 January 2011. Archived from the original on 24 January 2011. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- "SOPA Awards". www.sopasia.com.