Rubén Salazar Gómez
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (July 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Rubén Salazar Gómez
|Cardinal, Archbishop Emertius of Bogotá|
|Appointed||8 July 2010|
|Installed||13 August 2010|
|Term ended||25 April 2020|
|Predecessor||Pedro Rubiano Sàenz|
|Successor||Luis José Rueda Aparicio|
|Other posts||Cardinal-Priest of San Gerardo Maiella|
|Ordination||20 May 1967
by José Joaquín Flórez Hernández
|Consecration||25 March 1992
by Paolo Romeo
|Created cardinal||24 November 2012
by Pope Benedict XVI
22 September 1942|
|Motto||Tunc Dixi Ecce Venio (English:Behold I have come as I said)|
|Coat of arms|
Rubén Salazar Gómez
|Reference style||His Eminence|
|Spoken style||Your Eminence|
Jesús Rubén Darío Salazar Gómez (Spanish pronunciation: [ruˈβen salaˈsaɾ ˈɣomes]; born 22 September 1942) is a Colombian prelate of the Catholic Church who was Archbishop of Bogotá from 2010 to 2020. He was made a cardinal in 2012. He was Archbishop of Barranquilla from 1999 to 2020.
Early life and ministry [ edit ]
Jesús Rubén Darío Salazar Gómez was born in Bogotá, Colombia, in 1942. He completed his high school studies and philosophy at the seminary of Ibagué. At the Pontifical Gregorian University in Rome he followed the theological studies, obtaining a licentiate in dogmatic theology. He obtained his Licentiate in Sacred Scripture at the Pontifical Biblical Institute in Rome.
He was ordained a priest on 20 May 1967 and then held various positions including: pastor, seminary professor, director of the Department of Social Pastoral of the Colombian Episcopal Conference, and Vicar for Pastoral Care.
Bishop [ edit ]
He was named Bishop of Cúcuta on 11 February 1992 and was consecrated on 25 March. On 18 March 1999 he was appointed Archbishop of Barranquilla. He was appointed Archbishop of Bogotá on 8 July 2010. He took possession of the see on 13 August. During his installation, Salazar Gómez said that he would be focusing on three priorities: "protecting marriage as the union between one man and one woman, saving innocent life in the womb, and promoting peace in Colombia". Referring to the work of his predecessor, Cardinal Rubiano Sáenz, he said that "I will support each and every one of you with the affection of a father, a brother, a friend, because we have an arduous common task." He added that it is necessary "to discern together the will of the Lord for his people and to strengthen the conditions that will make possible a joint evangelizing endeavour."
Cardinal [ edit ]
References [ edit ]
- "Monseñor Rubén Darío Salazar, nuevo arzobispo de Bogotá" (in Spanish). Caracol Radio. 8 July 2010. Retrieved 25 April 2020.
- "Rinunce e Nomine, 08.07.2010" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 8 July 2010. Archived from the original on 28 July 2011. Retrieved 25 April 2020.
- "New Prelate for Colombian Capital Sets Priorities". Zenit. 17 August 2010. Retrieved 25 April 2020.
- "Annuncio di Concistoro per la Creazione di Sei Nuovi Cardinali" (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 24 October 2012. Archived from the original on 23 February 2013.
- "Titles and Deaconry of the new Cardinals". Office for the Liturgical Celebrations of the Supreme Pontiff. 24 November 2012. Archived from the original on 3 July 2017. Retrieved 25 April 2020.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 9 February 2013. Retrieved 6 March 2013. CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Rinunce e Nomine, 16.12.2013" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 16 December 2013. Retrieved 25 April 2020.
- "Cardenal Salazar es el nuevo presidente del CELAM" (in Spanish). ACI Prensa. 25 May 2015. Retrieved 25 April 2020.
- "Resignations and Appointments, 25.04.2020" (Press release). Holy See Press Office. 25 April 2020. Retrieved 25 April 2020.
|Catholic Church titles|
Alberto Giraldo Jaramillo
|Bishop of Cúcuta
25 March 1992–15 May 1999
Oscar Urbina Ortega
Félix María Torres Parra
|Archbishop of Barranquilla
15 May 1999–13 August 2010
Jairo Jaramillo Monsalve
Pedro Rubiano Sáenz
|Archbishop of Bogotá
13 August 2010–25 April 2020
Luis José Rueda Aparicio
[ edit ]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rubén Salazar Gómez.|
- "Salazar Gómez Card. Rubén". Holy See Press Office. Archived from the original on 4 September 2017. Retrieved 25 October 2017.
- Mojica Patiño, José Alberto (25 October 2012). "El arzobispo colombiano que le hablará al oído al Papa". El Tiempo (in Spanish). Retrieved 25 October 2017.