|Comune di Rubiera|
|Province||Reggio Emilia (RE)|
|Frazioni||Fontana, San Faustino, Sant'Agata|
|• Mayor||Emanuele Cavallaro|
|• Total||25.3 km2 (9.8 sq mi)|
|Elevation||41 m (135 ft)|
(31 December 2016)
|• Density||590/km2 (1,500/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Patron saint||Saint Blaise|
|Saint day||February 3|
Rubiera (Reggiano: Rubēra) is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Reggio Emilia in the Italian region Emilia-Romagna, located on the Via Emilia about 50 kilometres (31 mi) northwest of Bologna and about 13 kilometres (8 mi) southeast of Reggio Emilia.
History [ edit ]
The original name of the city was Corte de Herberia, probably derived from the Celtic er-beria, meaning "in the middle of the plain". The Roman emperors Gallienus and Valerianus built a bridge over the Secchia river at this location in AD 259.
The first historical mention of Rubiera is from 915, at which time it was a fief of the Supponidi family; the city later became a fief of the Obertenghi family. After a period of decline, it recovered some importance in the 12th century under the comune of Reggio Emilia, due to its strategic position and the fact that the city had a castrum (castle) and massive walls. At later times it was a possession of the House of Este, a Papal possession, and part of the Duchy of Modena and Reggio, during which period the castle was used as a prison.
Among the churches in the community are:
- Santissima Annunziata (18th century)
- Santi Faustino e Giovita (10th century)
- Sant'Agata a Casale (16th century)
- Parish church (18th century)
Sports [ edit ]
Twin towns [ edit ]
References [ edit ]
- "Superficie di Comuni Province e Regioni italiane al 9 ottobre 2011". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Popolazione Residente al 1° Gennaio 2018". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- All demographics and other statistics: Italian statistical institute Istat.
- Emilia Romagna Tourism office.
[ edit ]
|This article on a location in Emilia–Romagna is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|