|• Total||426.3 km2 (164.6 sq mi)|
|• Density||268/km2 (690/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+3 (EAT)|
Location [ edit ]
Rukiga District is bordered by Ntungamo District to the east, the Republic of Rwanda to the southeast, Kabale District to the southwest, Rubanda District to the northwest and Rukungiri District to the north. Muhanga, the largest town in the district, is about 35.5 kilometres (22 mi), by road, northeast of Kabale, the largest city in Kigezi sub-region. This is about 43 kilometres (27 mi), by road, southwest of Ntungamo, along the Mbarara-Ntungamo-Kabale-Katuna Road. Muhanga is approximately 374 kilometres (232 mi), by road, southwest of Kampala, the largest city and capital of Uganda.
Overview [ edit ]
As of August 2017, Rukiga District is made up of the following sub-counties: (a) Bukinda (b) Kamwezi (c) Kashambya and (d) Rwamucuucu. Muhanga Town Council completes the list of administrative subdivisions in Rukiga. Prior to 1 July 2017, Rukiga was a county in Kabale District.
The district is predominantly rural, with the majority of inhabitants engaged in agriculture. However, several urban centers exist in the district, including: (i) Mparo (ii) Muhanga (iii) Bukinda (iv) Kamwezi (v) Kangondo (vi) Sindi (vii) Rushebeya (viii) Kashumuuruzi (ix) Kitunga and (x) Kantare.
The town of Mparo, where the district headquarters are located, became a town council on 1 July 2017, the day Rukiga attained district status.
Population [ edit ]
The August 2014 national census and household survey enumerated the population in Rukiga District at 100,726 people.
References [ edit ]
- Mulera, Muniini (1 July 2017). "Overview of Rukiga District, Uganda". Toronto: Mulerasfireplace.com. Retrieved 10 August 2017.
- Google (10 August 2017). "Map Showing the Location of Rukiga District" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 10 August 2017.
- GFC (10 August 2017). "Distance between Kabale, Western Region, Uganda and Muhanga, Rukiga, Western Region, Uganda". Globefeed.com (GFC). Retrieved 10 August 2017.
- GFC (10 August 2017). "Distance between Ntungamo, Western Region, Uganda and Muhanga, Rukiga, Western Region, Uganda". Globefeed.com (GFC). Retrieved 10 August 2017.
- GFC (10 August 2017). "Distance between Post Office Building, Kampala Road, Kampala, Uganda and Muhanga, Rukiga, Western Region, Uganda". Globefeed.com (GFC). Retrieved 10 August 2017.
- Mulera, Muniini (27 June 2017). "Success of Rukiga District depends on you and me". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 10 August 2017.
- Muhumuza, Davis (4 April 2017). "Urban Planning: preliminary thoughts about Mparo, Rukiga". Toronto: Mulerasfireplace.com. Retrieved 10 August 2017.