Saint-Pierre, Saint Pierre and Miquelon
Aerial view of Saint-Pierre
|Overseas collectivity||Saint Pierre and Miquelon|
|• Mayor (2014-2020)||Karine Claireaux (PS)|
||25 km2 (10 sq mi)|
|• Density||240/km2 (610/sq mi)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−02:00|
|Elevation||0–207 m (0–679 ft)|
Saint-Pierre is the capital of the French overseas collectivity of Saint Pierre and Miquelon, off the coast of Newfoundland in Canada. Saint-Pierre is the more populated of the two communes (municipalities) making up Saint Pierre and Miquelon.
Geography [ edit ]
The commune of Saint-Pierre is made up of the island of Saint-Pierre proper and several nearby smaller islands, such as L'Île-aux-Marins. Although containing nearly 90% of the inhabitants of Saint Pierre and Miquelon, the commune of Saint-Pierre is considerably smaller than the commune of Miquelon-Langlade, which lies to its northwest on Miquelon Island.
The main settlement and communal seat is situated on the north side of a harbour called Barachois, which faces the Atlantic Ocean, on the Saint-Pierre Island's east coast. The mouth of the harbour is guarded by a small chain of islands.
History [ edit ]
Demographics [ edit ]
The population of Saint-Pierre at the 2006 local census was 5,888, many of whom are of Basque, Breton, Normand or Acadian descent. All inhabitants in the commune (municipality) live on the island of Saint-Pierre proper.
Government [ edit ]
The commune is led by a mayor and a council.
Landmarks [ edit ]
Close to the centre of the harbour's edge lie the Post office and Custom House (staffed by Directorate-General of Customs and Indirect Taxes), behind which is General Charles de Gaulle Square, the town's centre.
Other prominent landmarks in Saint-Pierre include the cathedral, to the north of the square, rebuilt in the early twentieth century after a major fire, and the Pointe aux Canons Lighthouse, at the mouth of the harbour. Further north, close to the town's former hospital, is the Fronton Zazpiak Bat - an arena for the traditional Basque sport of pelota.
Services [ edit ]
Hospitalier François Dunan (opened 2011) is the only hospital (84 bed facility) in St. Pierre et Miquelon with additional health care needs at the seniors residence at Maison de Retraite Eglantine.
Transportation [ edit ]
Saint-Pierre Airport, the international airport of Saint-Pierre and Miquelon, is located south of the settlement of Saint-Pierre and is served by Air Saint-Pierre with flights both to Miquelon Airport, five Canadian airports and seasonal service to Paris, France.
Radio and television [ edit ]
- Radio France Outremer
- Radio Atlantique
Education [ edit ]
Public primary schools in the commune:
- Ecole maternelle Ile aux Enfants (preschool/nursery) - As of 2014 it had 62 students.
- Ecole primaire Henriette Bonin - As of 2014 it had 62 students
- Ecole élémentaire du Feu Rouge - As of 2014 it had 163 students As of 2016 it had 172 students. It is in the downtown and is one nautical cable from the Ile aux Enfants nursery.
Lycée-Collège d'État Émile Letournel is the public secondary school in the commune, with junior high, vocational high, and general senior high/sixth-form programmes.
- Ecole maternelle Saint-Louis de Gonzague (preschool/nursery)
- Ecole élémentaire Sainte-Croisine - It opened on November 4, 1925
- Ecole élémentaire Sainte-Odile
- Collège Saint Christophe (junior high school)
Twin towns – sister cities [ edit ]
Saint-Pierre is twinned with:
See also [ edit ]
References [ edit ]
- Insee - Bases de donnees - Les resultats des recensements de la population
- "Ecole maternelle Ile aux Enfants > Présentation." National Education Service of Saint Pierre and Miquelon. Retrieved on September 14, 2016.
- "Ecole primaire Henriette Bonin >Présentation." National Education Service of Saint Pierre and Miquelon. Retrieved on September 14, 2016.
- "Ecole élémentaire du Feu Rouge >Présentation." National Education Service of Saint Pierre and Miquelon. Retrieved on September 14, 2016.
- "172 élèves. Evaluation en CE2." Ecole élémentaire du Feu Rouge. Retrieved on September 14, 2016.
- "Contact." Ecole élémentaire du Feu Rouge. Retrieved on September 14, 2016. "L'école élémentaire du Feu Rouge est située au centre-ville de Saint-Pierre à une encablure de l'école maternelle l'Ile aux Enfants." Address: "Ecole élémentaire du Feu Rouge 28, rue Louis Pasteur, BP 4234 St Pierre et Miquelon, 97500 "
- "Ecole maternelle Saint-Louis de Gonzague." National Education Service of Saint Pierre and Miquelon. Retrieved on September 14, 2016.
- "Petit historique." Ecole élémentaire Sainte-Croisine. Retrieved on September 14, 2016.
- Home. Ecole élémentaire Sainte-Odile. Retrieved on September 14, 2016.
- Home. Collège Saint Christophe. Retrieved on September 14, 2016.
[ edit ]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Saint-Pierre.|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Saint-Pierre.|