This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|150 Tenure Track Professors, 293 Adjunct Professors|
|Campus||393 Middle Huaxia Road, Pudong, Shanghai, 201210|
|Language||English and Chinese|
ShanghaiTech University (ShanghaiTech; Chinese: 上海科技大学) is a research university in Shanghai. Its campus is located in the Zhangjiang Hi-Tech Park in Pudong with an academic focus on STEM research. It has five schools and three research institutes and is backed by the Shanghai Municipal Government and China Academy of Science. In 2018, it had 1433 undergraduates, 1788 Master's and PhD students, and 485 faculty members.
ShanghaiTech is in cooperation with several overseas universities such as University of California, Berkeley, University of Chicago, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Drexel University, University of Padua and USC School of Cinematic Arts.
- 1 Timeline
Schools and Institutes
- 2.1 School of Physical Science and Technology (SPST)
- 2.2 School of Information Science And Technology (SIST)
- 2.3 School of Life Science And Technology (SLST)
- 2.4 School of Entrepreneurship And Management (SEM)
- 2.5 School of Creative Arts (SCA)
- 2.6 Shanghai Institute for Advanced Immunochemical Studies (SIAIS)
- 2.7 iHuman Institute
- 3 Campus
- 4 Academics
- 5 Research
- 6 Gallery
- 7 See also
- 8 References
Timeline [ edit ]
- December 2016: ShanghaiTech finished its move to the new campus.
- Spring 2016: The first batch of master students graduated from ShanghaiTech University.
- September 30, 2014: ShanghaiTech’s first 207 undergraduate students started their first day of the 2014 semester.
- February 2014: ShanghaiTech Founding President Jiang Mianheng and University Council Chairman Zhu Zhiyuan were inaugurated.
- January 24, 2014: China's Ministry of Education approved ShanghaiTech's 2014 undergraduate enrollment plan.
- September 30, 2013: China’s Ministry of Education approved the official establishment of ShanghaiTech University.
- September 3, 2013: ShanghaiTech’s first 296 graduate students started their first day.
- December 28, 2012: ShanghaiTech University laid its foundation in Pudong Science and Technology Park.
- April 28, 2012: China’s Ministry of Education approved the planning for ShanghaiTech University.
- May 23, 2011: Shanghai Municipal Government and Chinese Academy of Sciences decided to jointly form the ShanghaiTech Development Steering Group and the ShanghaiTech Development Working Group.
- September 26, 2008: The Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) and the Shanghai Municipal Government signed a Broad Collaboration Agreement to jointly establish the Shanghai Pudong Science and Technology Park of CAS, the Shanghai Advanced Research Institute (SARI) of CAS, and a research university.
- June 23, 2004: Shanghai Municipal Government and Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) initiated the planning of a research university in Pudong New Area.
The school was founded by the Shanghai municipal government and Chinese Academy of Sciences. In September 2013, ShanghaiTech University appointed Jiang Mianheng as president. Before his death in December 2018, Zhang Shoucheng was a professor at ShanghaiTech University and "tasked with establishing a new research institute there." On January 23, 2018, China News Service reported he was setting up the school's Frontier Science and Technology Research Institute.
Schools and Institutes [ edit ]
The university has five schools in operation:
- School of Physical Science And Technology Dean: Peidong Yang
- School of Information Science And Technology Dean: Cher Wang
- School of Life Science And Technology Dean: Haifan Lin
- School of Entrepreneurship And Management Dean: Hanming Fang
- School of Art And Creativity
ShanghaiTech has two research institutes:
- Shanghai Institute For Advanced Immunochemical Studies Director: Richard A. Lerner
- iHuman Institute  Director: Raymond C. Stevens
School of Physical Science and Technology (SPST) [ edit ]
The research of SPST is concentrating on:
- Material discovery, design and synthesis (materials chemistry, biomaterials, synthesis and process, catalysis, nanometer, polymer, surface science, solid state chemistry, soft and hard material interface, environmental sensing and recovery materials).
- Condensed matter and material physics (experimental and theoretical condensed matter physics, physical behavior of materials, electronic materials, energy storage materials, low-dimensional materials, quantum materials, metamaterials, materials theory)
- Spectroscopy and Instrumentation Science (Ultrafast Spectroscopy, Scattering and Microscopy, Electron Beam and Scanning Probe Technology and Instruments, Ultrafast Materials Science, In Situ Electron Microscopy, In Situ Ultrafast Spectroscopy, Sensing and Detection)
- Material Engineering
School of Information Science And Technology (SIST) [ edit ]
The school offers two bachelor degrees: Computer Science and 'Electrical and Information Engineering' and Master and PhD degrees in four directions: Computing Theory and Software, Computer Systems and Applications, Information Theory and Systems, Electronic Devices and Integrated Systems.
The research of the school is concentrated in seven research centers:
- Post-Moore Microelectronics and Integrated Circuit Center: Research on the next-generation Integrated Circuit technologies by investigating lower-power and higher-performance innovations from the fundamental device physics to the computer architecture level.
- Data Science and Machine Intelligence Center: Research on basic mathematics and statistical theory of high dimensional data analysis, efficient and extensible machine learningalgorithms, intelligent data acquisition devices and equipment, paralleldistributed computer systems and software development platforms, and applications of image, video, text, speech, bioinformatics and other aspects.
- Virtual Reality and Visual Computing Center: Aims to realize indistinguishable virtual reality contents from the perspectives of fundamental research core techniques in light field acquisition, storage, processing, rendering and display. Research on capturing, processing and tele-presence of 360-degree 3D dynamic real scenes up to the human-eye resolution.
- Center for Advanced Power and Energy Systems (CAPES): CAPES at ShanghaiTech aims to integrate the cutting edge technologies including distributed microgrid, smart grid, plug-in electric vehicle, internet of things, and big data; and to comprehensively optimize the whole process of power generation, energy storage, power distribution and utilization.
- ShanghaiTech Automation and Robotics Center (STAR Center): The STAR Center is working on Intelligent Algorithms, Software and Systems for Advanced Research and Applications in Automation and Robotics. It combines areas like Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence, Control and Optimization, Computer Vision and Mechanical and Electrical Engineering.
- Computer System Security Center: The center researches on scalable, reliable, secure systems, with an emphasis on mobile computing and security, Internet of Things security, software security, cryptography and formal verification.
- Network scIence CentEr (NICE) : Work on network communication, network security, cloud storage, network information processing and massive MIMOsignal processing.
School of Life Science And Technology (SLST) [ edit ]
SLST conducts teaching and research in all fundamental areas of life science. Its research is focused on, but not limited to, genomics and proteomics, epigenetics, RNA biology, systems biology, stem cell biology and regenerative medicine, super-resolution microscopy, chemical biology and drug discovery, and translational medicine.
School of Entrepreneurship And Management (SEM) [ edit ]
SEM does not offer degrees but instead teaches all students of ShanghaiTech University in creativity and creative confidence, critical-thinking and about skills which leads to learning how to innovate. Among other courses are thought on Economics and Design Thinking.
School of Creative Arts (SCA) [ edit ]
SCA offers no degrees but it offers non-diploma course with University of South California and is planning to offer students with art courses and lectures. The dean of SCA is Li Ruigang, the former president of the Shanghai Media Group and the chairman of China Media Capital. The vice dean is John McIntosh, former chair of Computer Art in SVA, New York.
Shanghai Institute for Advanced Immunochemical Studies (SIAIS) [ edit ]
SIAIS is performing antibody and immunochemistry research, dedicated to the understanding of the basic structure and design of biological molecules. It has eight key laboratories in the fields of antibody design, ADC chemistry, phenotypic screening, structure biochemistry, cell biology, stem cell biology, antibody engineering and antibody structure, covering all the capabilities that one needs to go from discovery of an important antibody through all the steps necessary to turn it into a drug. Besides, seven large technical platforms including cell sorting, imaging, protein & gene, HTS, informatics, analytical and animal sciences are also being developed. Nobel laureate James Rothman is a Professor-in-Residence of SIAIS.
iHuman Institute [ edit ]
iHuman focused exclusively on the basic and applied science of human cell signaling, with research groups in the fields of Chemical and Cell Biology, Chemistry, Antibody Development, Computational Chemistry, Imaging, Structural Biology, System Biology, and Translational Biology. Basic science is at the core of the iHuman Institute, with direct application to drug discovery. Raymond C. Stevens is the director of the iHuman Institute and Nobel laureate Kurt Wüthrich is leading the iHuman research group on Molecular Structural Biology.
Campus [ edit ]
The ShanghaiTech campus is located in the Zhangjiang Hi-Tech Park, amongst many national and international R&D-based companies. The university is in very close proximity to the Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation Facility, the Shanghai Advanced Research Institute and the National Center for Protein Science Shanghai. The campus was designed by Moore Ruble Yudell Architects and won the Merit Award for Urban Design Award 2012 of the American Institute of Architects, California Council. With 0.6 square kilometer and a construction area of 701,500 square meters the campus represents investments of the Shanghai Municipal Government of 4.169 billion CNY.
Academics [ edit ]
The low student-to-faculty ratio of at most 12 to 1 is hoped to ensure teaching quality. When the school opened, it had plans to enroll 2,000 undergraduate students and 4,000 graduate students immediately. In the future ShanghaiTech aims to host 1000 faculty, including 500 adjunct professors from institutes of the Chinese Academy of Sciences and other universities. The university will then educate 2000 undergraduate and 4000 graduate students (including 3,000 Ph.D. candidates).
Undergraduate program [ edit ]
The four year undergraduate program at ShanghaiTech University has 3 semesters (fall, spring and summer) per school year. The summer semester is mainly for course projects, with music and painting courses available.
Research [ edit ]
By 2017, the school had 145 research teams.
A research team at the school found "cerium can capture sunlight and cause a light-catalyzed reaction." The team then "developed a catalyst combination of cerium and alcohol, which can convert methane into fuel at room temperature, with no need of heat or condensation."
The school is involved with studying artificial intelligence. In September 2018, researchers at the school published an article saying they had successfully replaced genetic material in a human embryo that caused Marfan syndrome.
Gallery [ edit ]
The campus of ShanghaiTech University as seen from its iconic tower. The library can be seen in the center and the teachers apartments on the right. In the front left are the teaching and an administration centers. Behind the first row we can find student dormitories on the right and research buildings on the left. In the skyline on the left the skyscrapers of Lujiazui can be seen. (March 2017)
See also [ edit ]
References [ edit ]
- ShanghaiTech at a glance Retrieved Sep 18, 2017.
From each side:
- ShanghaiTech Signs Memorandum of Understanding with UC Berkeley Retrieved November 19, 2015
- Global partnerships Berkeley Engineering Retrieved November 19, 2015
- ShanghaiTech Leadership Visits University of Chicago and University of California Berkeley Retrieved November 19, 2015
- School of Physical Science and Technology Signs Agreement with the Institute of Molecular Engineering, University of Chicago Retrieved November 19, 2015
- President Jiang Signs Student Program Agreement with MIT Retrieved November 19, 2015
- MIT-China Educational Technology Initiative Map Retrieved November 19, 2015
- Drexel University Partnership with Shanghai Tech Retrieved November 19, 2015
- University of Padova Rector Visits ShanghaiTech Retrieved November 19, 2015
- ShanghaiTech Launches New Consulting Relationship with USC’s School of Cinematic Arts Retrieved January 10, 2017.
- School of Physical Science And Technology
- School of Information Science And Technology
- School of Life Science And Technology
- School of Entrepreneurship And Management
- Shanghai Institute For Advanced Immunochemical Studies
- iHuman Institute
- SIST Bachelor DegreesSIST Graduate Degrees Retrieved Mar 7, 2017.
- Reference follows very soon.
- Research, Technology and Profound Harmony Come Together Retrieved November 19, 2015.
- Planning & Urban Design ShanghaiTech University Retrieved November 19, 2015
- ShanghaiTech Campus Plan Retrieved November 19, 2015
- ShanghaiTech Aims To Raise The Bar For Higher Education In China Retrieved November 19, 2015