Shanghai Grand Theatre
This article does not cite any sources. (December 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Shanghai Grand Theatre (simplified Chinese: 上海大剧院; traditional Chinese: 上海大劇院; pinyin: Shànghǎi dà jùyuàn) is one of the largest and best-equipped automatic stages in the world. Since the theatre opened on August 27, 1998, it has staged over 6,000 performances of operas, musicals, ballets, symphonies, chamber music concerts, spoken dramas and various Chinese operas. The site is located at the intersection of Central Boulevard and Huangpi Road South in the northern part of the People's Square in Huangpu District, Shanghai. It is the home of the Shanghai Opera House Company; however, the title "Shanghai Opera House" officially applies to only the performing company and not to the building. The Shanghai Grand Theatre is also the resident for other performing companies.
Origin [ edit ]
Since the Reform and Opening up in late 1970s, more and more international performing groups came to Shanghai, but there is no large theatre for grandiose plays even till the 1990s. Shanghai municipal government decided to put up a large performing space complex to satisfy such a need and make it an urban culture center. In 1994 with 3000 million RMB government investment the construction of SGT started.
Theatre Buildings and Architectures [ edit ]
The Theatre is divided into 8 floors above ground and 2 floors below ground, covering a total area of 62803 m2. The total investment budget is 1.3 billion yuan.
The whole building is a crystal-like palace consisting of three main theatres: the Auditorium, the Buick Theatre and the Studio Theatre, with complete ancillary facilities such as ticketing center, Ballet Rehearsal hall, band rehearsal hall, VIP hall, exhibition hall, souvenir shop, coffee bar, banquet hall and parking garage.
The Auditorium [ edit ]
The Auditorium is decorated with warm colors of gold and red. It is mainly for large-scale performances such as operas, symphonies, ballets, dramas and so forth. The 19.5-metre high Auditorium covers an area of 1000 m2, and is divided into three levels of stands, with 1631 seats in total. The structural proportion and seating arrangement of the stand ensure that the audience is close to the stage as much as possible and enjoy the performance from the best audio-visual angle.
In the overall design, a Waagner Biro control system is adopted in the full-automatic mechanical stage for lifting, tilting, rotation, ladder and other transformations. The well-equipped Meyersound's loudspeaker and surrounding sound can meet the requirements of 5.1 channel. Digital mixer of high fidelity can provide 96 inputs and 64 outputs.
The Buick Theatre [ edit ]
The Buick Theatre, with stable walnut color as its main color, is located on the west side of the first floor. It is the performing space for chamber concerts as well as small and medium-sized dramas, and is also the venue of public charity performances and art education activities. The Buick Theatre is divided into two levels of stands, with 575 seats in total.
The stage is 12 meters wide, 6 meters high and 11 meters deep. Above the stage is a voice echoing board and 25 electric suspenders, the loading capacity of which is up to 300 kilograms, the maximum lifting height being 14 meters, and the maximum lifting speed 1m / s. There are 5 dressing rooms in the backstage for 50 people to make up simultaneously.
The Studio Theatre [ edit ]
Located on the fifth floor, the Studio Theater is a "black box theater" with dark gray as its main color. It mainly presents small plays of experiments and fashion. There are 220 fixed seats and 80 mobile seats which can be combined according to the needs of the performance. The performance area is about 140 m2. There are 4 dressing rooms in the backstage for 30 people to make up at the same time.
At the entrance of the small theater, there are coin dispensers and parcel cabinets to provide mineral water and deposit services for the audience. There is an independent VIP lounge in the backstage area, which provides program book, tea, towel and other services, which can be used by the VIP before and during the performance.
Culture Import and Export [ edit ]
Shanghai Grand Theatre actively combines domestic and foreign performing arts and production resources, and presents world classics to Chinese audiences in the way of its own after integrating national elements and characteristics. It has successively cooperated with Shanghai Shaoxing Opera House, Shanghai Ballet Company, Shanghai Opera House, Shanghai Peking Opera House, Salzburg Music Festival in Austria, Budapest Grand Art Palace in Hungary, and The Royal Opera House in Britain to launch various types of performances, such as operas, ballets and dramas. The mode of adding Chinese elements to world excellent culture has played a vital role in promoting Shanghai’s cultural originality and creativity as well as the spirit of the times.
- 1999.8 “Dream of the Red Chamber” of its Shaoxing Opera version was first performed in Shanghai Grand Theatre.
- 1999.10 The Shanghai Grand Theatre held "Malinsky Music Festival" to celebrate the 11th anniversary of the friendship between Shanghai and St. Petersburg, Russia.
- 2000 Shanghai Grand Theatre and Sydney Opera House held a two-way satellite transmission concert.
- 2001.1 & 10 Solo concerts by Spanish and Italian tenor Domingo and Pavarotti were held.
- 2002 The Theatre staged the original classic musical “Les miserable” for the first time in Asia, with 21 consecutive performances.
- 2012.7.19 The Theatre held a series of performances for the 60th anniversary of the founding of "Beijing People's art."
- 2016.10 The Theatre held "the Brilliant Russia" Malinsky Art Festival, with 7 performances brought by Russian Malinsky opera, symphony, chorus and ballet troupe.
- 2017.11 The Theatre held the Malinsky Art Festival, which featured the ballet “Cinderella” of Russian Malinsky Theatre and the concert of “Stravinsky Night.”
- 2018.7.1-2 The Theatre held "2018 World Theatre Operation and Development Forum."
- 2019.11.11 The “Celebrating Paris Opera 350th Anniversary—— Paris Opera Academy Gala Concert” is to be held.
Awards [ edit ]
- ISO 9002 certified.
- “Organization with Social Responsibility” (for 3 consecutive times from 2000 to 2005).
- “National Demonstration Base for Cultural Industry” (2004).
- “National Advanced Cultural Organization” (2005).
- “Best Operated Theatre in China—Gold Prize” (2006) and “Base for International Publicity of the Municipality” (2008).
- Shanghai Grand Theatre has been a member of AAPPAC-Association of Asia Pacific Performing Arts Centres since 2000 and is elected as one of the Executive Committee (ExCo) members.
Transportation [ edit ]
Bus: No. 17, 20, 23, 37, 46, 48, 49, 71, 108, 109, 112, 123, 505, 506; Metro: Line 1, 2, 8 at the People’s Square station
References [ edit ]
1. 百度百科词条“上海大剧院” https://baike.baidu.com/item/上海大剧院/567714?fr=aladdin
2. 大剧院官网 http://www.shgtheatre.com/
3. 傅海聪. 上海大剧院观众厅的空间与视感[J]. 时代建筑，1994（4）:32-37.
4. 宋扬. 上海大剧院节目策划与节目管理模式研究[D]. 上海音乐学院，2012.
5. 项祖荃，凌本立，王鸣. 上海大剧院[J]. 时代建筑，1994（4）:24-27.
- Fu, Haicong (1998-05-20). "The space and visual sense of the auditorium of Shanghai Grand Theatre". TIME + ARCHITECTURE. 4: 32–37. ISSN 1005-684X.
- 宋扬. 上海大剧院节目策划与节目管理模式研究[D]. 上海音乐学院，2012.
[ edit ]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shanghai Grand Theatre.|