|Districts||Dakshina Kannada, Hassan|
|• Official||Kannada & Tulu|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
Shiradi is a village on NH-48 (NH-75 at present) which runs from Mangalore to Bangalore. The village is situated in Puttur taluk of Dakshina Kannada district. The nearest town is Nelyadi which is at a distance of approximately 15 km. The ghat section of Western ghats through which NH-48 passes is called Shiradi Ghat.
Once you reach Shiradi, you need to travel a few hundred meters where you reach a bridge taking right there you need to start trekking to reach the spot "Ombathhu Gudda". Gundya, Kempuhole, Maranahalli, Kadamane tea estate, Heggadde, Donigal and Manjarabad Fort are the places located on the Shiradi Ghat. Aramane Betta, Venkatagiri, Mugilagiri, Are Betta and Yedakumeri are the popular trekking spots.
Shiraadi Ghat Road [ edit ]
The stretch of the National Highway passing through the Shiraadi Ghat is poorly maintained according to sources. It was upgraded by the National Highways Authority of India at a cost of ₹ 26 crore. Elephants have also been sighted on the road. In 2012, the Government of Karnataka sought help from the Japanese government to bore a tunnel through the ghat. Later, the State Government released money to keep the road motorable during rains.
Shiradi Ghat will have a tunnel bypass road, the construction project will begin before December 2016. The proposed tunnel bypass road is expected to be 29 km and provides seamless travel through the ghat stretch with 6 tunnels and 10 bridges. The new project costing Rs. 12,000 crore would be executed with financial assistance from the Japan International Co-operation Agency (JICA).
References [ edit ]
- "Head for the hills during weekend". The Hindu newspaper. Retrieved 26 December 2014.
- Kamila, Raviprasad (10 April 2010). "NHAI to maintain 10 more stretches of highways". Mangalore: The Hindu. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- "Rs. 26 crore for Shiraadi Ghat road". Bangalore: The Hindu. 19 November 2006. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- "Tusker found crossing NH in Shiradi Ghat stretch". Mangalore: Deccan Herald. 8 December 2009. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- Belgaumkar, Govind (15 December 2009). "Lone tusker sighted in Shiradi ghats". Mangalore: The Hindu. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- "Karnataka govt seeks a boring solution to the Shiradi Ghat problem". Bangalore: Daily News and Analysis. 27 April 2012. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- "More funds promised for Shiradi Ghat road repair". The Hindu. Mangalore. 11 June 2012. Retrieved 13 June 2012.
- "Shirady Ghat will be shipshare during monsoon: CM". The Times of India. Mangalore. 10 June 2012. Retrieved 13 June 2012.
- "Tunnel bypass road project at Shiradi Ghat to begin in a year". Deccan Herald. 16 December 2015. Retrieved 7 February 2016.
[ edit ]
|This article related to a location in Dakshina Kannada district, Karnataka, India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|