Laura Sippola 2000
14 September 1974|
|Genres||Singer-songwriter, Folk, Blues, Jazz, Alternative pop|
|Years active||1995 – Present|
|Labels||Texicalli Records, Ranka Kustannus, Turenki Records|
|Associated acts||Laura Sippola &Tuki|
|Website||Laura Sippola website|
Laura-Liina Sippola (born 14 September 1974) is a pianist and a singer-songwriter based in Helsinki, Finland. She works as a freelance musician and a composer.
Biography [ edit ]
Sippola was born in Lapua. After playing alone the piano for years, she went to Lapua Music school at the age of eight. She is gifted with perfect pitch. She studied notation, techniques and the basic piano repertoire with Elina Pataila. She moved to Oulu at the age of fifteen to follow Madetoja high school, one of the main music oriented schools in Finland. After graduation Sippola spent a year in Italy. In 1994 she enrolled in Sibelius Academy in Helsinki. She also studied six months in Bologna G.B. Martini Conservatoire. Sippola completed her studies, receiving a Master of Music degree in 2003. In 2017 Sippola completed her artistic Doctor of Music degree at Sibelius Academy, University of the Arts Helsinki.
Work [ edit ]
Laura Sippola works mainly as a performing singer-songwriter. She also teaches songwriting in Sibelius Academy and in Critical Academy.
Sippola have compiled a comprehensive concert programme of Joni Mitchell's music spanning the different periods of her career, mainly focusing on material she played with jazz musicians. It is not a tribute band as that word is usually understood, but a real tribute to the celebrated artist.
Besides her solo career Sippola composes music for other artists, a cappella ensembles and choirs. She also composes instrumental music. Sippola won the first prize in Saimaan Sävel competition by composing the song "Kaunis mieli". Song has been recorded by Johanna Kurkela and by Sippola herself.
Sippola hosted the popular Laulutupa club in Helsinki during 2006–2007 with her group &Tuki, where are played the top Finnish jazz musicians (listed below). She also has organized concert series for singer-songwriters in the concert hall of the Ateneum art museum.
Laura Sippola has frequently returned to Italy to concentrate in composing at Villa Lante in Rome. She also spent a few months in Benin at Villa Karo, in Paris at Cité des Arts and in Austin at The House of Songs.
Band members [ edit ]
Discography [ edit ]
Albums (solo) [ edit ]
- Sahara (2004), debut
- Toinen (2009 Texicalli Records)
- Stadion (2010 Texicalli Records)
- Trenkipoika (2011 Texicalli Records)
- Like Lullaby (2013 Ranka Kustannus)
- Intermezzo (2018 Turenki Records)
Singles [ edit ]
- Mieli (2008 Texicalli Records), EP
- Mä tiedän (2009 Texicalli Records)
- Rakkautta vain (2009 Texicalli Records) (single-edit)
- Kesäyö (2010 Texicalli Records)
- Kaunis mieli (2011 Texicalli Records) (single-edit)
- Baby Was a Loner (2013 Ranka Kustannus)
- Meidän tie on tämä (2017 Turenki Records)
- Intermezzo (2017 Turenki Records)
- <3<3 (2017 Turenki Records)
- Kätees sun (2018 Turenki Records)
- Hatsit (2018 Turenki Records)
Music videos [ edit ]
- Kesäyö (2010) by Pauliina Punkki and Johan Karrento
- Baby Was a Loner (2013) by Luomustudio
- Good Girl (2014) by Pauliina Punkki
- Special Like You (2014) by Pauliina Punkki
- Onnellinen (2018) by Tuomo Nyyssönen)
Collaborations [ edit ]
- Nova / Rajaton (2000), as a composer
- Boundless / Rajaton (2001), as a composer
- Sika ja taivaalliset tarinat / Levanto & Levanto (2002), as a singer
- Myytävänä elämä/ Laura Malmivaara (2005), as a composer & lyricist
- Revolution Rock – Joe Strummer Memorial Night (2006), as a singer
- Uni / Club for Five (2006), as a composer & lyricist
- Marmoritaivas / Johanna Kurkela (2007), as a composer, lyricist & arranger
- Nuori mies / 500 kg lihaa (2007), as a pianist
- Ensimmäinen suudelma / Jonna Järnefelt (2007), as a composer
- Ipanapa II, (2008), as a singer, pianist, composer, lyricist & arranger.
- Lämmin / Riku Keskinen (2009), as a singer
- Sulttaani / Trio Orit (2012), as a singer and a pianist
- Lumienkeleitä / Juurevaa joulua (2018) as a singer-songwriter